Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Some one told me that I should get Charlie some low carb dog food. So I went last Friday to a specialty shop and bought some. For 2 nights now he hasn't woke me up itching. I know he isn't allergic to his normal food as he ate that in Michigan and wasn't itching, but maybe the ingredients aren't helping his itching, and getting rid of the extra sugar has. I took his t-shirt off and his chest is looking normal no flaming red. He still went out and started rubbing it on the ground so the t-shirt is staying on until I can let him out and he doesn't rub it. A couple of his fat spots are smaller. Either the thing he is allergic to is going away. It usually is over in September, but we have been very dry lately. Or the food is helping. I will stay with the new food it is so nice for him not to be itching all the time I am not going to risk going back to his normal food for now. I know others have had itching trouble so it might be worth trying.
Steph

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
is it high fat and high protein? if so, it's probably the fat that's helping more than the lack of carbs.

dogs DO need carbs, just like we do. they're omnivores, so i'd just make sure he's also getting good carbs. in addition, dog foods aren't murderlized :?: :D by the same things human foods are --- they usually don't have high fructose corn syrup and the like, which are found in most (i hesitate to say nearly all, but it's close) processed human foods.

i give Lady extra oils --- in particular, high lignan flaxseed oil because it has anti-inflammatory properties and she's an older girl with dysplasia and arthritis. one consequence has been her coat (which is very, very thick --- she's very hairy) is gorgeous --- my vet says it's a direct consequence of her higher fat diat

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is lamb and rice so there is still carbs in it, no wheat or corn meal. I have been putting oil on his food for a very long time. Charlie is 11 years old. We have had these summer allergies for 6 years sense we moved here. If this helps it is worth it.
Steph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts