Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870750/

Chemicals used in plastics' manufacture have been found by the FDA in recalled pet food, but no rat poison. New York's testing lab is standing by it's finding of rat poison.

I posted this here since it is breaking news, but moderators please feel free to move it to the old pinned topic-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
According to the Pet Connection (which is home to Universal Press Syndicate's pet column), the wheat may have found its way into dry food, as well.

In addition, the FDA is now doing a 100% sampling of *all* wheat gluten from China.

The Pet Connection is really good at updating info, so anyone trying to follow this might want to bookmark them. Hopefully, they'll have a listing of dry foods it might be in soon.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There's also this from the ASPCA:

“Melamine at high doses causes a pronounced diuretic affect in dogs and rats, as well as the development of crystals in their urine,” said Dr. Steven Hansen, veterinary toxicologist and senior vice president with the ASPCA, who manages the ASPCA’s Midwest Office, including its Animal Poison Control Center (APCC). “The twist in the tale is that melamine itself has a very high safety margin, especially when compared with a toxin such as aminopterin.

“Cats, however, are a very sensitive species, and can react adversely to many chemicals and drugs,” continued Dr. Hansen. “Because of their unique physiology, we suspect that they may also be more sensitive to the adverse effects of melamine.

“Further, crystals in urine have been reported by veterinary diagnosticians and clinicians in some of the pets affected by the contaminated foods. However, the direct connection between melamine and renal failure, especially in cats, is not clear and requires additional investigation.”

The ASPCA recommends that the treatment of pets for kidney failure, which has been directly linked to ingestion of the contaminated food, should continue. “It is imperative to stay in close contact with your veterinarian and follow their direction,” said Dr. Hansen. “In addition, if you have any suspicion that your pet is displaying signs other than those previously noted, and believe these are directly linked to ingestion of the contaminated food, you should notify the FDA immediately.”[/b]
:(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU for the link to Pet Connection! There is a lot of good information on that site- I just followed it to the ASPCA site you quoted-

The more I read, the angrier I get-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but I share your feelings.

In addition, they can't rule out it's gotten into the human food supply.

I just spoke with Black Gold to see where they got their wheat, and it's ALL AMERICAN! People think I'm nuts for being so insistent about buying local foods and staying away from the agribusiness multinational corporations, but this is exactly (and worse - another example) why.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but I share your feelings.

In addition, they can't rule out it's gotten into the human food supply.

I just spoke with Black Gold to see where they got their wheat, and it's ALL AMERICAN! People think I'm nuts for being so insistent about buying local foods and staying away from the agribusiness multinational corporations, but this is exactly (and worse - another example) why.[/b]
I hear that. I personally prefer to eat produce that comes from American farmers. Farmers work hard as heck to produce their crop, so I figured the least I can do is not buy that imported stuff.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is just too much :angry: I'm feeding my babies Nutro but I am considering switching to Innova. I've done some research on the internet and found a list of some top choices in dry kibble foods:

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#TopDry

My friends swear by something called "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul". They've been using it for a while and have done lots of research as far as where the ingredients are from, etc.

I hope this dog food situation doesn't get any worse :( It's enough to have to prepare dinner for ourselves. I'd hate to have to start making kibble!

·
Registered
662 Posts
My friends swear by something called "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul". They've been using it for a while and have done lots of research as far as where the ingredients are from, etc.[/b]
My mother swears by "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" as well (she owns a chow/lab cross). Her dogs coat is smooth and shiny and Bella has become more energetic and "puppyish" (she's almost 7 years old).

I'd probably get it too for the hounds ... but there's a price issue. .... The stuff's expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts