Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiance and I took in Indy in November froma family member who was overwhelmed with 2 older boxers and 3 year old and my precious pup. He is a year old now. He fits in great in our household... still chewing on things and needs to be crated while we are not home, but fully pottytrained and well behaved. Sometimes I feel bad that he doesn't have a doggy companion.

Just this week the fiance and I were talking about maybe in a year getting another basset. Right now we are planning our wedding that is June 28th and then we go on our honeymoon July 5th-12th. We figured we would wait until after the wedding is done and see if any pups fell into our laps as Indy did...

Yesterday my future father-in-law came over to spend some time with Indy because Chad and I had some things we had to do after work and could not come straight home. When out for a walk a neighbor approached him and said she has a 2 year old basset and recently went through a divorce and now has 3 children and the basset and this is too much for her. They used to have another dog also, but no longer have him (I don't know why) and now the basset is seems lonely. She asked if we might be interested in taking the dog in. My father-in-law just told her that she should come by and talk to us.

I really need to know more info on the dog such as his personality and gender before I can even consider taking it in, but I truly want to help this pup out. I was thinkin she could bring the dog over for playdates and then maybe even sleepovers to see how our dogs interact and if they settle in great together we could figure out how we can work it out. My parents and Chads parents love Indy, but I am afraid taking care of 2 dogs while we are on our honeymoon is too much for either of them (maybe we could split them up). The timing is so bad.... if she would have appoched us this coming July I would jump on the opportunity for Indy to have a buddy.

Any ideas, advice, or suggestions. I thought about doing it on a trial basis for 2 weeks, asking her if she could wait until the summer for us to take the pup, or even if she could watch the dog while we are on our honeymoon.

I would love to be able to gain an addition to our house, and help out this pup and his/her current family :unsure:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It sounds like you've really put alot of thought into this, so whatever you decide, it won't be in haste!

Why not try an overnight or weekend trial to see how it goes?

Let us know what you decide- and good luck!

·
Registered
714 Posts
It sounds like this situation has the potential for a happy ending. All of your thoughts are good ones, you seem to have a fair number of options.

All I can say is give it a shot! Please keep us updated...

·
Registered
272 Posts
What were you planning on doing with Indy when you got married? Boarding, or is someone watching him for you? Could the current owner possibly watch him or her for you when you get married and for the honeymoon? It sounds like your on the right track. Why not talk to the owner and maybe she might have a suggestion for you or a plan. Good luck, hope things work out!! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were planning on having my parents watch Indy for half the week and Chad's parents watch him for the other half. Chad has a brother with 2 dogs too that could watch him (we watched one of their dogs last summer when they got married). I haven't heard from the woman down the street yet... I think she might be waiting to catch us on a walk with Indy. I am going to talk to her about socializing the dogs and seeing how they do and maybe keeping her dog for a weekend and if all works out nice I will ask if she can take her dog for that week we are on our honeymoon. I wonder how old her kids are... if we start a nice neighborly relationship maybe we can look to them when we need someone to let our dog (maybe dogs) out if we have a late night somewhere. Thank you for all of the positive input. I've really started to look forward to the new edition and kinda hope it works out. If not we will wait until the summer and see if we can find another situation that works. I really want a buddy for my precious boy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
great pictures..he's so cute!!
sounds like you've got yerself a plan. Good luck, hope things go well!!
oh, and if you need help with the wedding there's a great website called frugalbride.com. You can get on their forum and get all kinds of tips and cheap tricks...i used it and saved myself a bunch of $$ on our big day...
good luck again,
keep us posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts