Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree with bubbad about the crate. It might seem cruel but in the long run it will preserve your sanity and keep the dog safe. It might also help with potty training. Dogs don't mess where they sleep and she would (hopefully!) learn to hold it until she got to an acceptable place, such as outside. Me personally, I don't let the dogs sleep with me except in very rare instances such as my husband is working nights. It works for us and they both like their crates.

As for the potty training, try and put her on a schedule and do your utmost to stick to it. This will help you figure out how long after she eats that she needs to go outside. You need to watch her very very closely for a while after starting to potty train her. Her hints that she has to go could be very subtle. If you catch her in the act, clap your hands, say "Ah!" really loud, whatever you have to do to startle her and interrupt her potty. Don't punish her, just put her leash on and take her outside. It would probably be handy to keep some small treats by the door so when she does her business outside you can treat her for doing it in the right place.

As for her chewing. I hope you don't have the lovely experience of coming home and finding all your cabinets chewed or you sofa cushions torn apart. We rent too and we know we'd get into huge trouble if our dogs chewed on the cabinets or the baseboard. We give them a bunch of things they can chew on and it keeps them from finding things to chew on. When they were puppies (Virga still is but she learned quick) and they'd chew on something we didn't want them to we would just say "Ah!" and put one of their toys in their mouths and praised them for chewing on the acceptable thing.

All in all, be consistent and patient and you'll be fine. Just remember Basset Hounds aren't stupid. They're just stubborn. You just have to be more stubborn! Good luck!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am going to do some wild speculating here. I'm going to guess that she was not properly housebroken to begin with, and that due to punishment she is afraid to relieve herself with you watching (dogs quickly learn that if they pee in front of people they get punished, but if they do it out of sight they are "safe" - since they don't associate delayed punishment with the action)
I've never thought of that! That's so sad. But it also makes sense. I think you're on to something with this Soundtrack. We startle Virga (when we can catch her) and my husband is sometimes worried about scarring her and it making her hide when she potties in the house. But she's fine. We've had to go back to basics with her and she'll gladly pee as many times as I want as long as I have treats!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.