Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Bassett Hound after the passing of my previous Daschund/jack Russel cross passed at about 25 y/o.

I adore the Bassett as he is quite intelligent. But seem to have two consistent issues, one is potty training. I've watched videos, spoken with other Bassett owners and used sites like this. He will use the potty pads (as I live in an apartment) most days, but every so often he will just stop using the pads and eliminate anywhere.
I use special treats he only gets when he uses the pads properly and as stated for the most part this helps.
The other issue I get is while walking him, if I start to go a way he doesn't like he will begin trying to jump and bite me.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
I skipped the pads and instead took out the puppy frequently and at consistent times. First thing in the morning, after breakfast, after play time, anytime they drank water, after lunch, after dinner etc. Basically I tried to manage the lack of bladder control and reduce the opportunities for the puppy to potty inside.

Edit: if possible I would recommend moving to a first floor unit so it is easier to get outside. The first couple months we were in and out many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not stating that. He goes out usually once every hour and a half to two hours. Unless I have to do some running around

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay, so still a pup. Bassets can be challenging to housetrain. Do what Tetully said and ditch the pee pads. It’s only confusing him.
What has worked for me:
For the first while, you need to keep an eye on him constantly and look for signs that he “needs to go”. At the first sign, use a phrase like “want to go out?” or whatever suits you and take him outside. No dilly-dally. It will take some time but stick with it.
If he messes in the house, blame yourself for not paying attention, not him. This mindset is important to prevent you from getting angry at him when you find a mess.
ETA: When you can’t keep an eye on him, keep him in his crate. Crate should be just large enough for him to turn around in and not large enough for him to mess in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
OK. So at 4 months he 'should' be able to hold, within reason and that means he'd need taking (note TAKING) outside roughly every 3 hours for urination and as he's a male, and now able to walk in the general areas (fully vaccinated?) it's relatively easy to get a male to 'go'. He would need to have a bowel movement roughly as many times as the number of meals he's currently having, maybe plus one. Certainly first thing, during the day and last thing at night.

DUMP THE WRETCHED PEE PADS. This is only confusing him (dogs don't go in the same place quite like cats do) and you will have to get down to properly housetraining him, eventually. My dearly departed final Basset came to us at 4 months and although I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first, taking him out more than he strictly needed, plus once at night, at first, once I knew what the situation was with him, I was able to back off a bit.

The routine should be tons of praise when, taking him outside, he 'goes'. If he doesn't bring him indoors but stay with him in the room by the outside door (bearing in mind I'm talking houise, not an apartment) so the moment he squats, you can say NO! and take him back outside. Correct ONLY in the act. Clean up mistakes (which are your mistakes) without comment. And yes, use a crate for the times you can't supervise what's going on. Other than overnight, for NO LONGER than 3 hours max. I have, incidentally, never used a crate to house-train.

Unfortunately the bottom line is I'd never sell a puppy to an apartment home unless it was on the ground floor with access to a private outside area. Living above ground floor and perhaps having to carry? a Basset outside = IMPOSSIBLE!

ps Housetraining for us with ours, has never been a problem although I didn't expect them to hold for much over 4 hours.. You must be consistent, persistent and above all, patient. And get the hound into a routine so, tummy upsets/infections apart, he knows what to expect , and when.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
only one caveate is if the dog is active and playing it needs to be multiple times an hour he goes out. see; ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy
[/quote]Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.

A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.[/quote]

the other area housetraining fall apart is a signal for the dog to use to tell you he need to go out. If you hope that the puppy figures out something that works reliably it is probably not going to happen,. Training a specific behavior is a much better idea see; ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- House Training: Ring My Bell!

on the walk, the walk is for the dog so letting him choose sometimes is not a bad idea. But when that is not a reasonable option just keep going and ignore the puppies obnoxious behavior. you do not want to unconsciously reward the poor behavior with attention,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts