Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. My family and I just got our first bassett puppy on Sunday. When I was a kid my parents had a bassett so I grew up with one until he passed at 14. I also have two 10 year old mini daschunds, and a 2 year old chihuahua. So far Barney has been a very mellow puppy. He loves snuggling and kisses. Barney is great around all kids and is so gentle when they come over to pet him. My dogs seem to be OK with him they have put him in his place a few times they do not enjoy having their butts sniffed although they insist on smelling his.:D We have been doing well with housebreaking but I know that is a challenge with them. I am used to this after having three small dogs . We were praticing on the leash he will trot a bit then just plop down and put his feet in front and refuse to move. He came from a breeder on a farm so leashes and cars driving by are all new to him. We took him to the park today to play wth the kids but he was perfectly happy hanging next to me watching the world go by. I have not had a puppy in 10 years so I am sure I will have some questions that come up. I look forward to learning all I can from everyone. Here is a picture he is 11 weeks old. new pics

·
Registered
767 Posts
Welcome. What a nice looking pup. Loads of fun coming your way. Maggie Mae & Daisy

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a sweet freckle face! Welcome I'm pretty new here too, but these are some great helpful folks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. Barney seem to be enjoying barking at my older dogs. They have been snubbing him and being snippy when he gets curious aout them. Is he doing this to try and get them to notice him? My dogs will come around but they are just showing him how to behave with them. My chihuahua is a rescue and she is great with other people and dogs she is just very nervous at times. My daschunds are not good with other dogs they get afraid of strange dogs.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What a cutie pie! Welcome to the forums, and you can find an answer to just about any question you have about bassets.

Sounds like attention to me, or he just wants them to PLAY!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone I will take some more pics today I broke my digital so they will be phone cell pics. I can tell he wants their atttention his breeder had quite a few of her own dogs, chickens goats and he was still with his sister. My dashunds have been together 10 years so they can be very cliquey. I think they are ignoring him so he learns they don't get attention that way. It took them a bit to accept the chihuahua. Barney is such a love he cries and cries when I leave the room. I am home so I am pretty much with my dogs 24/7. He has found his voice and was doing his puppy bassett bark for aout 30 minutes last night very cute. Funny how my daschunds and arney have similar traits. I am taking him to my friends she has a border terrier puppy who is very active maybe he will get Barney playing. I also love that he thinks he is a lap dog that is what I love about my small dogs needless to say my couch I sit on is going to be crowded. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new furbaby! He is absolutely adorable. I hope he has a wonderful life with your family!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
dashunds have been together 10 years so they can be very cliquey
My impression of the dachshunds that I have met is while intial started/foundation is hound stock the nature of the work the were bred for ie going to ground is the sam as most terrier breed and there personality reflecxs this they are more terrier in temperament than scent hound.

Also he is a male in in the hound world especial the female hound world means he is dirt or less than dirt and will get treated as such unless and until he accepts the rule of the high priestesses

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
He has been just hanging out on the couch and my other dogs are nearby but he is acting sumissive and leaving them alone. . I can tell sadie my red doxie and lola my chihuahua are going to make friends with him once they know they don't have to be afraid of him. He is very relaxed so he does not make them nervous .Daisy my 8 pound doxie will just dominate him she makes my mom's springer stay out of the room she is in just by looking at her. I took some pics of Barney today This is my son noah and Barney before school.

These are his big front paws so cute...

My friends daughter

Barney and my friends border terrier(he is a handful)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the forum to you and adorable little Barney! He's so cute! And I think his barking is just trying to get them to play with him. Virga did that with Doppler when she was little. Look forward to seeing even more pictures of Barney as he grows up and to hear his stories. Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks . I could not believe how gentle he was with my friends baby he would just sit their and let her stroke him. It was like he knew she was young so he was super sweet, I am in love :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts