Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a newly acquired owner (yes, she acquired us) of an adorable bassett that we've named Lucy :)

She adopted us over the weekend. Literally walked right into the garage then to the house and onto the couch :lol:

We have just gone ga-ga over her. Our lab loves her too and she just walked right into our lives just like she's always been there :) I'm glad to have found this board!

What are some "beginner's tips" for a bassett? We have already bathed her, made a vet appointment, Frontlined her (we live in the country in the South) and allowed her to sleep in the house last night for the first time. That may sound kinda cold, but I was kind of concerned that she might belong to someone else, but none of our neighbors claim her, nor have their been any lost and found notices in the newspapers or with the humane societies/veterinarian offices.

She has been absolutely wonderful! She hasn't had a single accident in the house and no barking (yet, I'm sure :) )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congratulations!! She is so sweet looking!

It sounds like you're pretty on top of things. One concern, I believe you are supposed to wait several days before or after bathing her to put on Frontline. You might want to check the package. Also, make sure the vet checks her for lyme and heartworms in addition to giving her vaccinations. If you have ticks where you live, she can be vaccinated against lyme. Keep her nails short, her ears clean (inside and out) and watch her anal glands (our dogs have theirs aspirated every few months - if you smell somthing REALLY bad, it's that)

As for the couch, if you don't want her there, nip it in the bud now - ain't nothing getting our dogs off of our couch and we've only had them a few months! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Moscoe
Congratulations!! She is so sweet looking!  

It sounds like you're pretty on top of things. One concern, I believe you are supposed to wait several days before or after bathing her to put on Frontline.  You might want to check the package.  Also, make sure the vet checks her for lyme and heartworms in addition to giving her vaccinations.  If you have ticks where you live, she can be vaccinated against lyme.  Keep her nails short, her ears clean (inside and out) and watch her anal glands (our dogs have theirs aspirated every few months - if you smell somthing REALLY bad, it's that)

As for the couch, if you don't want her there, nip it in the bud now - ain't nothing getting our dogs off of our couch and we've only had them a few months!  :D
Thank you!

At her vet appointment on Friday, they will do all of the worm checks, an annual physical-type appointment, get her vaccines (+ lyme - I live in the backwoods of Arkansas :lol: ) and a good once over. She had her baths on Sunday, so she will probably get her Frontline tomorrow. I will have the vet check the anal glands - our labrador is gassy enough :lol: Is it worth it to have the vet clip her nails? Our lab bites his so we don't ever worry about his :lol:

I woke up to her in bed with me twice during the night - which I won't mind, once she is flea free :lol: (I know, kinda flakey of me, eh?)

She wanted to sleep in my twins' room last night, but we still don't know her THAT well, know what I mean?

She's been a real joy, so far :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should definitely keep her nails trimmed unless she will wear them down naturally on rocks or roads. Long dogs like bassets can develop back problems and we read that they will walk incorrectly if their nails are hitting the ground which can in turn affect their backs. Ours don't mind us trimming theirs much, but both my husband and I have to participate in the process. We try to have them done at the vet whenever possible b/c it's just easier.

I am so jealous that you will have her in bed with you! We can't have ours in bed with us b/c first of all there wouldn't be any room left for us in the bed, but also b/c ours shed like CRAZY so we try to contain the hair on the first floor of our house.

We have spent a few nights with them on the sofas though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ohhh..she is sooo sweet! Lucy is a good name for her.
Look at that face. It's soo innocent and yet dangerious (wait until she steal your dinner, you know what I mean!) :)

Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Poor thing--maybe someone dumped her--I hear that's common practice in rural areas. :( Sounds like her story will have a happy ending, thanks to you! :D

A

·
0 Posts
God bless you for your kind heartedness. What a beautiful pup!...General

·
Registered
50 Posts
She's wonderful. If you are like us she will be running the house in no time at all. Rosie was a definite member of our family. You are very lucky to have her just walk into your lives. Enjoy her.

J

·
0 Posts
So do I understand correctly that she was a lost dog that nobody claimed? How wonderful of you to adopt her into your family! We too have a Lab and a Basset, others on the board have the same combo. It sure keeps you on your feet!
Welcome to the board. SHe is a beautiful dog!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lucky Lucy to have found you! You're smart to keep her out of the twins' room for now -- but I bet that won't last long :wink: !

·
Registered
813 Posts
How cool is that, to have a basset just show up and adopt you? If you don't mind having her in the bed, you won't mind having her on the couch and trust me, she'll assume control of the couch in nothing flat. As for the nails, if she'll let you do it, be careful not to cut too short. I've been doing George's for a while now, since he finally decided to let me (rather than my having to have the vet do it) but I cut one too short a couple of weeks ago and while he didn't act like it hurt, it did bleed and I felt simply AWFUL. We don't have the anal gland problem but you do have to watch their ears. She'll let you know if they're bothering her by scratching them and shaking her head a lot. Give her a big hug and kiss from us.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How wonderful of you to adopt a homeless Basset Hound! Unfortunately there are many - Looks like Lucy picked a winning home!! Do keep the nails trimmed - a walk a day is a good thing too. Bassets do tend to put on weight which is hard on their backs, so exercise is a must. Have fun!

S

·
0 Posts
She is a sweety and looks pretty young! Congratulations on your new family member! I have learned so much on this site. Welcome aboard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts