Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. This is my first time posting on any forums, but I'm needing some advice.
I just rescued a 3yr old basset, Daisy. She is a beauty. Unfortunatly, I don't have much info on her. I do know she has recently had pups. Took her to the vet yesterday....got a shot for worms. Vet said her health is good, just underweight. She weighs 30lbs. She's eating well and hopefully will be putting some weight on now.
Now for needing advice. I'm thinking she is heartbroken missing her babies. She whines all the time.....except when her eyes are closed. I'm thinking the people that bred her, sold off her puppies too soon. I've never seen anything like this. I feel so bad for her and don't know what to do. I have tried consoling her, but nothing is working!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I apologize for not having any suggestions for you (have always had males) but wanted to welcome you and say congrats on your new addition! Finally another basset member from AZ!

Chuck & his Mom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thank you Catherine! What a wonderful idea!
Hey ChucksMom! We are in Glendale! So nice to know there's someone close to home!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
There have been a whole lot of other changes in her life as well. I'm suspecting she's just generally stressed, and it will probably take a while for her to settle in.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think you just need to give her time to settle in. Moving and adoption are both very stressful for a dog. She doesn't understand that she is home.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may think of getting her some puppy shaped toys for her to have as her babies. Something she can carry around and groom. Our old female dog loved her stuffed toys aka babies. It seemed to fill a need for her.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Or you could just get her a new puppy to play with and raise! ;) But what everyone else has already said is probably very very true. She could just be stressed about getting adopted and being in a new place. Just give her time and space to settle down which I'm sure she'll do in a short amount of time. Good luck with her and congratulations on your new adoption! And thank you for adopting her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All! Thank you for all the great ideas! She is still pretty whiny. Ok, really really whiny!!! I feel so bad for her. My bf is home with her all day cuz he's outta work right now. She is making him crazy!! She follows us everywhere whining and crying. I'm going tonight to find her a bed and a stuffed puppy. The stuffed animals we have at home she just tears apart! She must be so confused right now

·
Registered
878 Posts
Congratulations on adopting Daisy and I hope you'll have many happy years together. I think like others, she'll take a while to settle... just give her lots of cuddles and some soft toys to play with and I think it will help. Our two sisters will be three years old next week and they have loads of toys (hard and soft), balls, slippers etc etc and their favourite at the moment is Bagpuss! :D Look at those ears swinging as she shakes Bagpuss! :D :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Congratulations on adopting Daisy and I hope you'll have many happy years together. I think like others, she'll take a while to settle... just give her lots of cuddles and some soft toys to play with and I think it will help. Our two sisters will be three years old next week and they have loads of toys (hard and soft), balls, slippers etc etc and their favourite at the moment is Bagpuss! :D Look at those ears swinging as she shakes Bagpuss! :D :D
[/url]
What cute gals!! I enjoyed watching them play. What is a Bagpuss? is it only in the UK? it looks like the Cheshire cat!

Happy early B-day, L & L!

your pal,
Worm

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think you just need to give her time to settle in. Moving and adoption are both very stressful for a dog. She doesn't understand that she is home.
I agree... plus the loss of her puppies will be upsetting her hormonally I would think! Poor wee Daisy... thank goodness you have got her and I hope you'll have a lot of patience and understanding. She does seem very underweight and I would just want to give her loads of cuddles and nice food and treats all the time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your situation sounds familiar. Simone was a rescue, her owner died, she went to foster home, had puppies, her last puppy was taken from her and then was spayed right before we adopted her. She was whiney (sp?), had accidents in the house, chewed through an "indestructible leash", ate a throw rug, and chewed up the seat of antique rocker. And that was just the first couple days. I really wondered what I had gotten into when my husband made the comment that Simone was just like Boomer, as sweet as could be and would be a wonderful dog too. Boomer lived to 17 and we refer to him as "saint Boomer" because he was such a great dog. Hubby was right, within a couple weeks she settled in, bonded with us, and stopped whining. She can still be mischievous but we cannot imagine life without her now. Hang in there : ), you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hope Daisy is settling in and congrats on your new adopted baby! A kong may be a good idea filled with some peanut butter or cheese, that would keep the mouth busy and hopefully distract some from whining. I just adopted a gal myself about a month ago and just this week she is settling down some, would pace alot before not so much vocal except when I leave. Give it time, I think she needs to get used to her new home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts