Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me? i have been looking into getting my first basset hound for a while now...I do work 6-7 hours 4 days a week, how do the bassets cope with being alone for that amount of time? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's about how long Chuck is home in his crate each day and he's does fine with it. When he was younger he would have an accident or two in his kennel but is getting much better at holding it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you..I have read many articles on the internet that bassets especially dislike being left alone and was abit worried about this..if it did prove a problem, i would be happy to pay a dog walker to come during the day while i was at work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It probably helps that Chuck shares his crate with our Cocker/Springer mix. They keep each other company...and it's a huge crate!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think they get used to it. A young puppy would likely need a potty break at some point, but as they get older, they're ok. Molly isn't crated and at 10 months can go that long without an accident. I think she just sleeps.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
i would be happy to pay a dog walker to come during the day while i was at work.
the typical basset is very social and more likely to suffer from seperation anxiety than other breeds while a dog walker may help by shorting the duration it still does not solve the fundemental problem of being alone.

Doggie day care is one option but often the cost is prohibitive.

another option involves that the requiremnet for companionship of each dog is different. some do fine or even excel at being an only dog. The easiest way to find one is an adult dog through a rescue organization. The temperment is pretty much set by the time a dog is an adult. Getting a puppy is a crap shoot you are likely to loose in an only dog senario.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My boy Lightning was a basket case when left alone. It took getting Stomps to calm him down. I think bassets who are left alone for several hours a day do better in pairs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Watson is left alone in his crate for that long with no problems. He knows the drill and often goes in on his own as soon as we head toward the room with his crate. He has toys and chews in there, and as far as I know, sleeps most of the time he's in his crate. He doesn't have problems with separation anxiety or anything like that. I definitely think crate training is the way to go if he's going to be alone that long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We were concerned as well when we adopted Sadie, our three year old female, as our previous basset had anxiety issues and elimination issues when left alone. Sadie did have some separation issues at first - mainly barking and general acting up when we left for work. We chalked it up to being a rescue and not knowing the schedule but she has adopted well.

The schedue is walking a mile every weekday morning before work which burns off a lot of her nervous energy and having a dog walker three times a week and day care twice a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will definetely be crate training...Will be taking a week or two off work when i first get my pup to try and get him/her into some sort of rountine, ive just had mixed advice on leaving dogs alone while at work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've read that leaving a radio or the tv on will help alleviate some of the stress of being alone. Fergus does pretty well alone for that long, but I wish I had more ways to keep him entertained. We use lots of Kong toys, but he's so persistent with the food items that I'm sure he's got nothing to do after two hours alone.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My boy Lightning was a basket case when left alone. It took getting Stomps to calm him down. I think bassets who are left alone for several hours a day do better in pairs.
I agree with you.... Bassets love company of other Bassets and also love people too, and personally I wouldn't leave either of my Bassets for longer than 3 or 4 hours but some are left and get used to it.

I think it would be better if your first Basset is an older hound because it would not be fair on a puppy at all... you need to spend time with a pup to help with house-training and they need a lot of stimulation or they'll be so bored and may get destructive through boredom!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts