Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I am getting another Basset puppy next Saturday. I am so excited. Question for everyone??? What do you think of the name Buddy for a Basset boy? His official name will be Brown's Buddy but Buddy for short

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congratulations! I think it's a nice name. It might not be the most unique, but I often think we should have named our pup Buddy. We call him buddy all the time and it would have been a good name for a basset, as they're definitely buddies. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm so excited for you. Buddy is a great name. Maxwell is 6 months old and we're going to get a sister for him in September - they have the same father. Reading your post made me more anxious than ever to bring our new little Hannah home. She's only 2 weeks old now.

Congrats!! Make sure you keep us updated on how things go and post pictures.

Maxwell sends a happy howl to Buddy!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Buddy Brown/Brown's Buddy, has a good ring!

Congrats! Buddy will be a fine basset friend for you and for Jessie Brown. Looked at the pics, love his white tipped nose. Is he one of Dean's pups?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just remember that if you take your hound to a hunt or field trial, you may have to start trying to catch him -- running through the fields and woods calling
This is why you dont want names like dipstick or dum-dum -- the breeder of Kurli was going to name her Curlie Girlie -- i can not see me running through the woods calling "here, Curli Girlie"
Names like Wench can be interesting --- see who answers

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D *giggle* Willow gets called dipstick and dum-dum regularly, as well as numb-skull. I am now going to have to throw wench in there when I'm just chatting away to her, it's perfect.

I think Buddy's a very cute name. Buddy-the-basset, it has a nice sound.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buddy is a very pretty dog and it's a nice name. Maybe you can start trimming/clipping his nails now and again to keep them neat. This is what my breeder told us to do so that by the time they are old enough to complain, it has become part of their beauty routine. Of course if you do a lot of road walking once Buddy is about 10/11 months old his claws will wear down on their own.

We live on the coast, in miles of countryside, so ours walk in the fields, park, lanes and beaches and they rarely go on the roads so now and again I have to trim their nails or Dremel them and one doesn't mind too much and the other two dogs aren't keen on having their feet touched!

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes it is one of deans pups. are you getting one?
Sadly, not this time. We are patiently waiting for a "bitch" (oh man, I just can't get used to the dog world lingo) Since we are only able to have one basset until we hit the retirement years, we want to go with a female and heard the girls ran short this time around. Hoping for an opportunity in the future! I matched your pup to an early pic I saw of the litter, that's how I guessed Buddy was a Dean dog! I LOVE his nose!

So I hope you are sticking with Buddy even after you've read all the feedback..............you can go with a multitude of nicknames like:
nutty buddy, Nose bud (b/c his nose is so cute) Bubb (Brown's ultimate Basset Buddy, etc. etc. etc!

·
Registered
275 Posts
two more days til Sat.

And you get to bring your new pup home! You will be busy for a few months!

Jesse and Buddy Brown, two awesome hounds!

Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I lost my boy to cancer in March. His name was Benny. (short for Benson). He was definitely my "buddy" and I called him that alot. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the new puppy!

We picked the new puppy up today! He is so funny w/ the other dogs. We have changed our minds on the name and we are naming his Mister Buster:)

It was good to see you Sally. Mister Buster will be a lot bigger when you see him next.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Saw the homecoming pictures. Looks like Buster is being accepted into the pack. Congratulations! Your dog family looks very content.

See you at the hunt!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you by any chance wear Buster Brown shoes when you were a little kid. Nah......probably not, you are too young! My Mom always bought be Buster Browns!

Saw the lastest pict. posted, typical basset, looking for love. How's it going?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is definitely a handful. He is a good puppy though. We are crate training him and this morning he had a pee accident in the crate and would not stop whining/howling until I took him out of the mess. So at 4am I was doing laundry...washing/drying his dog bed. He is already showing signs of wanting to hunt which is awesome. He went for his second round of shots and a wellness visit yesterday and he is in perfect health. He weighs 12lbs and 13oz. I am going to start him on frontline tomorrow. He is coming along on potty training too. He loves Jessie to death. She actually is acting a quite a bit like his mommy. lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well. Sounds like Buster and Jessie are going to make a great team. I'm not surprised to hear about his good health check up, he looked great when I saw him last week and with the care you are giving he will continue to grow and develop into an awesome hunting hound!

Are there any hunts up your way in the fall? I think I could talk my hubby into making the trip up there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You can find the hunt schedule at Welcome to Bassetnet.com | AHBA | American Hunting Basset Association ---There are hunts at Winsor, NY, Castle Creek, NY, and E-town, PA
Also more hunts may be added at Java Village, NY and another hunt in PA
Since you gave me an opening -- here's the info on Labor Day

On Labor Day weekend, there will be 2 hunts for bassets at the Northern Lancaster County Beagle club near Blainsport, PA.

On September 4, the PA. State Championship.

On September 5, the East Regional hunt

These 2 hunts will bring many of the best rabbit hounds in the country. We will have bassets from NY, IN, MI, WV, OH, and possibly MO. If you want to see what bassets can do in the field, come on out and watch.

All AHBA hunts are no-kill events – we just lead the exercise program.

We still welcome any and all new bassets and owners at any of our hunts. There is no way for a house pet to get in the way, and many will actually join in. Bring your couch potato and let him have some fun.

We take small groups of hounds out and let them run for one hour.

Food is available – breakfast & lunch –Saturday evening we have a cookout – hamburgers, hot dogs, corn, clams, and chirice

For details- 610-942-2840 or check NLCGFPA.org

1 - 20 of 22 Posts