Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I picked up an 11wk old Basset over the weekend, what a great dog. I was wondering if you could share with me one thing you have done to make life with your basset easier and more enjoyable.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
i can't take full credit for it because my Basset had been trained when i got him, but i can tell you that teaching him how to walk on a leash makes life 1000% easier. there's nothing worse than having to wrestle with your dog everytime you walk him.

now bath-room training? that's another story... :blink:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Get the puppy on a schedule right from the start. Outside first thing in the morning, 10-20 minutes after eating, after playing and about every 30-60 minutes while awake. At this age, this schedule should prevent indoor poop accidents completely and should minimize pee accidents, as you train the pup.

Confine the pup to a small space, like a gated kitchen. I use a 4'X6' exercise pen with a crate. The dog eats and sleeps in the crate and walks around to stretch legs and pees outside of the crate. The pup should stay in this area whenever you can't supervise. This arrangement will help with housetraining and will prevent the pup from getting into trouble with chewing, etc.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Betsy has given you some super advice. We do almost exactly the same thing. Because of the way we set up our yard, we also have a place just for the puppies so that we can leave them out for longer periods of time. It's amazing how quickly they catch on, and they rarely poop in the exercise pen in the house. When they do it's usually because we lefy them in there too long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was wondering if you could share with me one thing you have done to make life with your basset easier and more enjoyable.
[/b]
I realized that a golden retreiver he was not... bassets are loveable, independent souls who more than make up their "shortcomings" by being so full of love!

·
Registered
535 Posts
We do as Betsy said regarding putting the puppy out often and have had very few accidents with both Sadie (8 months) and Max (12 wks). We also crate them when not home to watch them. They will both go to the crate and get in on their own when say Kennel. Max used to do it just because Sadie would and he just followed her in but recently Max has started to run to the Kennel when I say it before Sadie does. He runs to the kennel gets in and turns around and sits while he waits anxiously for his treat, it is so cute. Also we try to give them lots of exercise before settling down for the evening, if not they will be wild all evening. Some one on this forum once said a tired basset is a good basset and that is so true. I know that was more then one thing, sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great ideas! We are currently crate training the pup and have begun to follow your ideas for potty training with frequent trips outside.

Do you think bassets prefer a certain type of bone to chew on? As of now, Max has a Nylabone, but isn't to fond of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It seems that all the commercial rawhides, greenies, etc. can be dangerous. If large pieces are swallowed they can cause a blockage which can result in surgery and death.I've given big beef knuckle bones but bones can splinter too- have you thought about a Kong? Murray has the big black one designed for heavy chewers. Kongs can be stuffed with all kinds of things, and the dog really has to work to get the treats out- it can keep them occupied for a long time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
A note on chewies - bully sticks tend to wear down instead of coming apart in chunks. Safer than rawhide if your pup likes natural chewies.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Everyone has given great advice. I can only add that when my boy, Francis, has an accident it's always my fault, either I missed his cues or I was away from home too long.
Bassets are the craziest dogs, they're independent, SOOOOO stubborn, and hilariously funny. Francis went blind last summer and it's like he forgot to notice he can't see. He still wants to go where he wants to go when he wants to go there and no amount of distraction or length of time away from desired goal will stop him. Classic basset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another situation has come up. What about accidents. Max has had 2 in the last 3 days and both times he had been out just prior to his accident. He seems to go to the bathroom easier for me than he does my wife, does that sound familiar to anyone.

Also, we gave in and have allowed him to sleep in our bedroom (don't shoot me). He has not had an accident over night (Knock on Wood) but is it sending him the wrong message about his place in our "pack"

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the dog should always sleep in the bedrrom. I figured I was gone from José when I was at work, and away at other times.... nighttime was the one time that he could count on me to be there. I thought it was the least I could do.

José always slept with me in my bed until he was about 3. Which was fine when it was just me and him in the full size bed, and he stayed at the bottom. Add in my husband and someon'e gotta go! I bought a crib mattress and a comforter and those slid nicely under my bed when not in use. That was for the dog, by the way (not the husband!). José tolerated that but still wanted to be up in the bed.

Luckily he absolutely loves his arrangement now, a futon in the bedroom next to us, with a comforter tucked in the top so he sleeps underneath the covers (when he wants). I will have to get pictures of that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The number one thing I can recommend is PUPPY SCHOOL!!! Jackie graduated last weekend and I am amazed at how quickly she learns everything. The social experiences are great as well. Jackie's classes are at Petsmart and she starts the next class in two weeks. By far the best money and time I have spent with a dog. Not to mention the relationship that training builds between you and your dog.

I highly recommend puppy school!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My number one piece of advice would be to not let him sleep in your bed, because it does mix them up about who's in charge. That might be why he's better for you than your wife.

The next-best thing I learned was to pick up after myself, after losing at least a dozen pairs of shoes and gloves, several remote controls, and other sundry items to my boys' undying hunger for things to chew. (And I prefer Nylabones, although I can see why a puppy might want something softer. But now rawhide--terrible for their stomachs!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just bought a new puppy as well. His name is Fred and he is a sweet puppy. I've had him for a week and he obeys my command when I say "come here Fred" or "sit down" I've been taking him outside to eliminate, but sometimes he chooses to urinate on my tiled kitchen floor. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you type in "Potty Training" in the "Search" section you will find many posts with excellent information. Many Bassets are difficult to train, and they do mature slower than many breeds. Patience, being consistant, not letting them out of you sight, and small treats for a "job well done" really help.

This is the excellent advice Betsy gave to a previous poster about potty training:
**Get the puppy on a schedule right from the start. Outside first thing in the morning, 10-20 minutes after eating, after playing and about every 30-60 minutes while awake. At this age, this schedule should prevent indoor poop accidents completely and should minimize pee accidents, as you train the pup.

Confine the pup to a small space, like a gated kitchen. I use a 4'X6' exercise pen with a crate. The dog eats and sleeps in the crate and walks around to stretch legs and pees outside of the crate. The pup should stay in this area whenever you can't supervise. This arrangement will help with housetraining and will prevent the pup from getting into trouble with chewing, etc.**
Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts