Basset Hounds Forum banner

new basset owners with ?

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Booya 
#1 ·
hi we just got a 8 week old basst puppy and have a few ?

1 do any of you keep your basset outside. we are hoping to be able to keep her outside with our lab if they get along when she is older.
2 do they get along with other dogs very well?
3 do they travel well i drive a truck on a mail route some trips i make are for 24 hrs i waswondering about taking her with me in the truck.
4 who much should we feed her at frist? i dont want to over feed her.
5 what kind of chew toys work best for a basset ?

thanks anthony

#2 ·
1 do any of you keep your basset outside. we are hoping to be able to keep her outside with our lab if they get along when she is older.
3 do they travel well i drive a truck on a mail route some trips i make are for 24 hrs i waswondering about taking her with me in the truck.
thanks anthony[/b]

1. I'm not certain but i believe Bassests are more apt to being indoor dogs, although i have heard of some keeping theirs outdoors.
2. Bassets love other dogs. Mine loves to play with other dogs... now whether the other dog could care less about her is a different story lol
3. I bring my dog with me everywhere. in the beginning she hated it because i kept her in a crate ( to keep her from peeing) but then we got her a "seatbelt" (short lead that connects to the seatbelt) that workes well because it keeps her from getting onto my lap and she can still see out the window and all.
I have also brought her on long (4 hours each way) road trips and she was fine.
4. i have no idea on that one, i don't remember how much we fed her.
5. I think that would depend on your dog. Mine loves rawhide bones and stuffed toys with squeekers. I can say though, she didn't care for her Kong toy at all

#4 ·
thanks anthony[/b]
She will be fine staying outside. I wouldn't recommend keeping her outside for long periods of time in extreme weather conditions (high / low temps, rain, etc) until she is older. Even then I would bring her in if it gets bad.

Bassets, along with labs, are very social and friendly, so I imagine that will get along very well together. Just make sure the lab doesn't play too rough with her when she is a puppy.

I imagine the dog will travel well. It just takes time to get the dog used to riding in the vehicle with you. It will be tough taking her on long trips when she is young, as she will have to "do her business" pretty often.

I'm not sure about the food, sorry.

As for chew toys, I would check out the rubber squeeky toys and some rawhide. I would avoid stuffed toys, as the dog will probably rip them apart and you'll have a mess on your hands.

Good luck with your puppy!

#5 ·
1. I do not keep the basset outside. Where I live it is too cold most of the year.

2. Bassets tend to get along with other dogs well. Basset hounds are not supposed
to be agressive at all. My dog usually gets along with other dogs. Just last
night we ran in to a girl that was so surprised because it was the only male
dog her dog had ever liked.

3. My previous dog, also a basset, was a bit bother by motion sickness. My present
one loves to go for rides.

4. Follow the instructions on the lable. Then you keep a close eye on how much weight
she gains. Does she look/feel too thin or too chubby and regulate the amount based on
these indications. Remember the more activity the more food they need.

5. Inidvidual preference. Just remember that they are big dogs when grown, with
powerful jaws, so then they will need something sturdy.

Based on that picture I would say that for a basset pup she look a bit to thin.
Remember puppies are in a growing stage in their life. It is better that they
are a bit chubby than too thin, not saying that you should overfeed it, but if you're
insecure then at least you will know that she gets enough nutrition to develop her
body to its full potential.

Congratulations with your new Basset hound. She is lucky she has someone that
wants to bring her around everywhere, being with the pack is what its all about :p

#7 ·
As far as chew toys, try to avoid things that the dog can break into large chunks and swallow, which could result in an intestinal blockage.

You might consider bullysticks for chewing. The dog can't bite off chunks of the bullystick like they can with rawhides.

#10 ·
Awww......what a cutie she is!! 3 of my dogs travel with me constantly. Some of our road trips are up to 10 hours at a stretch. I make sure to have plenty of water and food and stop fairly frequently for short walks. They all love it.

I can't help you with the food and chewies. I'd follow the advice of your vet - and be careful what you feed now because of the recalls!!

I have a lab that loves my houdies - bassets are very social and love most people and animals. Their biggest problem is being left alone and getting bored. Then they get into mischief.

Have lots of fun with you baby.

#12 ·
do bassets dig much[/b]
Moe, as a young guy, used to LOVE to dig. He started a hole once, right in front of my front steps! Everytime he went out he worked on it a little more. If I tried to fill it in he'd dig it out again. It seemed like he was trying to get to china! HE worked on that hole for a whole season. Come winter I finally managed to get it filled in and he seemed to forget about it. If he saw me plant flowers or a small shrub in the yard he'd dig it up and drag it around the yard. It got so I could only plant things when he was in the house and then only if he couldn't see me from one of the doors (we have glass doors on each side of the house so there aren't many areas of the yard that can't be seen from inside). Sometimes I could redirect his digging efforts by starting a hole with my shovel in the side of the loam pile we keep behind the garage. HE'd see me start the hole and then take over a dig to his heart's content. I learned to put his digging talents to use, too. When I wanted to plant a tree or shrub, I'd figure out where to plant it, start a hole with my shovel, and then stand back and let Moe go to work. He helped me plant a couple of lilacs and a Magnolia tree one summer. :lol:

#14 ·
Baxter is now 7 months old and I got him when he was 3 months. I feed him Nurto Puppy twice a day, two cups each time and he is a good weight. Where I live, it's the law that if you keep a dog outside you must provide a shelter, such as an insulated dog house. I have a Lab too, and the first two years I kept her outdoors in an enclosed kennel with an insulated dog house. This was because I had another elderly dog that wouldn't accept her. She did very well outdoors, then when the other dog died and I got a 4 year old Basset (showed up at my door), she started living in the house. The Basset died at 11 years old and Sarah, the Lab, is still alive and will be 15 in June, which is quite old for a large dog. Baxter teases her all the time and she gives it right back! I also have another Lab mix who is going to be 6 and gets along great with Baxter. As for traveling, Baxter gets sick in the car every time :huh: ! Even on a 10 minute trip to the vet! Whenever I have to take him on any extended trips, I don't feed him and have to give him a pill that the vet gave us for motion sickness. I actually give him only 1/2 a dose or else it makes him very sleepy.
He is a sweety though. He has the best disposition of any dog I've known, other than Roi, the original Basset I had that is ATB.

#16 ·
It's so funny reading your questions as I had the same too, but I'd not discovered this brill forum so I had to figure it out myself.

She doesn't look too thin, my Poppy looked just like that and my Vet said she was just right, even now at 9 months she is still showing some rib definition, however my Vet is happy.

Regarding outside, Poppy can stay outside for upto 2 hours at a time and that doesn't bother her as if she wants in she's got a Kennel to go into.

Bassett's just LOVE other dogs and people and basically everything (to be honest Poppy has to learn that not every dog is friendly and sometimes she does get a growl or a nip if she gets "too" friendly). She met an Afgan Hound the other week and he was MASSIVE! But she got on really well with him after a little uncertaintly.

Travelling... When she was really little she hated the car and CRA*ED EVERYWHERE!! :blink: :( But now she is just wonderful, she has her doggy seat belt and we frequently go on 6 hour plus journeys with no problem. As long as we stop for potty breaks every so often she just goes to sleep!
There's nothing quite like hearing your Bassett in the back snoring away!! :lol: :lol:

We fed Poppy 3 times a day to start off with, but the best suggestion I can make is just follow the guidlines on the Puppy food and messure according to weight and you'll not go far wrong. I started feeding her twice a day at 6 months and she's just fine.

I've made the mistake with stuffed toys, and she just destroys them! Rubber balls/bones/chewy bones are the best bet.

Regarding the smell... It's very particular isn't it!! I get Poppy used to bathing from a very early age and give her a bath (with a mild doggy shampoo) every week and this keeps her coat looking nice and shiny and the smell only hits you the day before bathing... My Vet told me this little trick as hounds have a very distinctive smell, not like other dogs :wacko: :lol:

DIGGING!! :unsure: :rolleyes: Poppy LOVES to dig and it's so funny, I swear she's trying to get to Australia!!! But even more funnier than that is that she keeps on forgetting the hole is there and keeps falling in it!! :lol: I've given up trying to fill it in much like Terry!

Once the puppy phase starts to slow down and you see the adult emerging you'll just love her! Once you've owned a Bassett any other dog just won't do!!

GOOD LUCK!

Keep us informed...

Jaimie & Poppy
x

#17 ·
Hi,
1. my boys are inside dogs, but my neighbor has a basset that is outside during warmer weather and she is a bit territorial.
2. my boys have never met ANYONE of any species that they don't LOVE LOVE LOVE

3. 2 of my boys LOVE the car rides, my little guy not so much he whines and farts until we hit our destination, not a great combo in a confined area!
4. my boys get 2 cups/day 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening, they were on puppy food until they were about 9 months old, then they got adult food. They also get unlimited treats!
5. My boys love Bullsticks (great prices from bullysticksonline.com, and they are odor free which beleive me is a big deal) and a 12 inch one can last them up to 45 minutes, they will also chew on the nylabones (non-edible) that have the nubby things in the middle for hours.
6. Hound smell: it's actually their feet and it smells like cornchips (fritos)/popcorn...I have 3 and have grown to actually like it...however gross that is!!! I've found that with higher quality food, the smell is much less, as well as the shedding!
7. my bassets don't dig unless something smells very interesting! I don't have any "holes" in the backyard...I may just be lucky though.

Good luck!

#18 ·
It's so funny reading your questions as I had the same too, but I'd not discovered this brill forum so I had to figure it out myself.

She doesn't look too thin, my Poppy looked just like that and my Vet said she was just right, even now at 9 months she is still showing some rib definition, however my Vet is happy.

Regarding outside, Poppy can stay outside for upto 2 hours at a time and that doesn't bother her as if she wants in she's got a Kennel to go into.

Bassett's just LOVE other dogs and people and basically everything (to be honest Poppy has to learn that not every dog is friendly and sometimes she does get a growl or a nip if she gets "too" friendly). She met an Afgan Hound the other week and he was MASSIVE! But she got on really well with him after a little uncertaintly.

Travelling... When she was really little she hated the car and CRA*ED EVERYWHERE!! :blink: :( But now she is just wonderful, she has her doggy seat belt and we frequently go on 6 hour plus journeys with no problem. As long as we stop for potty breaks every so often she just goes to sleep!
There's nothing quite like hearing your Bassett in the back snoring away!! :lol: :lol:

We fed Poppy 3 times a day to start off with, but the best suggestion I can make is just follow the guidlines on the Puppy food and messure according to weight and you'll not go far wrong. I started feeding her twice a day at 6 months and she's just fine.

I've made the mistake with stuffed toys, and she just destroys them! Rubber balls/bones/chewy bones are the best bet.

Regarding the smell... It's very particular isn't it!! I get Poppy used to bathing from a very early age and give her a bath (with a mild doggy shampoo) every week and this keeps her coat looking nice and shiny and the smell only hits you the day before bathing... My Vet told me this little trick as hounds have a very distinctive smell, not like other dogs :wacko: :lol:

DIGGING!! :unsure: :rolleyes: Poppy LOVES to dig and it's so funny, I swear she's trying to get to Australia!!! But even more funnier than that is that she keeps on forgetting the hole is there and keeps falling in it!! :lol: I've given up trying to fill it in much like Terry!

Once the puppy phase starts to slow down and you see the adult emerging you'll just love her! Once you've owned a Bassett any other dog just won't do!!

GOOD LUCK!

Keep us informed...

Jaimie & Poppy
x[/b]
thanks jaimie and all the rest of you guys for all the help

#19 ·
I imagine all of our Bassets vary a bit, but here is how mine is in regards to your questions

- My Jasmine is a barker, so this just wouldn't do. We've already had a rather unpleasant complaint from a neighbour, so leaving her out there when I'm not around to bring her in when she's noisy would cause trouble. And she digs, so that would be the end of what little garden I have left.

- My breeder was initially concerned about us adopting her because we didn't have any other dogs, and she'd be on her own during the day. She assured me they were very social, and did better with company. This has been my experience, as she is a little social butterfly. She wants to say hello to every dog and person she sees. And she now has a little sister (by nine months), a chocolate Lab to keep her company.

3 do they travel well i drive a truck on a mail route some trips i make are for 24 hrs i was wondering about taking her with me in the truck.
- On long journeys she usually settles and sleeps the whole way. However I just got a new car, a doggie friendly hatch back, and she doesn't seem too impressed with being back there and whines or barks the entire trip to dog training at the weekends. However, one of the maintenance guys that services the base I work on regularly brings his gorgeous little Basset with him to work. She sits happily on the front seat and waits for him if he has to go into a building to work. Looks like a mutually agreeable situation for the both of them, and leaves me a bit jealous that Jasmine can't come to work with me.

- We followed the instructions on the food. But to be honest Jasmine only eats what she wants to eat. She's never been an over eater, so you may see how much your little one will eat a setting and compare it with the guidelines, as they are just that - guidelines - and it take a bit of trial and error to find the right amount.

- Jasmine has never been much for toys, although she used to carry around a monkey plush toy. Yes, he got ripped, as she quite liked playing tug of war with him, but I would just sew him up. Now my girls love Kongs, but only if they're stuffed with treats. Beyond that she enjoys one of those bones stuffed with cheese and meat, or a nice little rawhide straw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.