Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. I recently adopted a 7 year old female basset hound from a Los Angeles City Animal Shelter. I have had her for only 2 weeks and things are moving along.

A while ago I saw a dog on a television show called Love Inc. and thought that dog was the cutiest thing. I did not know what kind of dog it was at the time and it took me about 6 months to figure it out, it was a basset hound. About 4 months ago I started feeling as if I wanted to get a dog and wanted it to be a basset. Well, I did my research for a good 3-4 months on bassets. I even went to an all basset hound dog show in Southern California so I could actually see one up close, ask questions to the owners, discover if a basset was truely the dog for me.

Now that I have my Trixie, I have found that some of the things I have read ring true for her and others do not. For example, she is a dry-mouth (can't say I am sad about it), she does not howl, and she does not think that she is a lap dog. On the other hand, she is EXTREMELY lazy, she stop and drops every time anyone reaches out to pet her (she wishes that she could be rubbed on the belly 24 hours a day) and after only 1 week she refuses to go for walks. I have been able to get the potty training taken care of right away, so I have no problems there and she seems to prefer meat (Natural Balance) over kibble (eventualy when she get hungry enough she will eat it).

Although things are going good, I did have a few challenges in the first week. I took her to the vet and on my second visit in 8 days I found out that she had Kennel Cough and a REALLY bad ear infection. The ear infection was so bad that the vet had to sedate her to clean them out. She is currently on two different pills and some ear jell. The pills will end tomorrow but the jell will continue until her vet visit next Saturday.

Trixie is an only dog and stays home alone during the day. However, that only tends to last for about 4 hours because at 12 noon her human grandmother takes her out for relief, sun, fresh air, belly rubs, and love. Usually, she has human contact for the remainder of the day until I get home. I keep her in a huge play pen in the kitchen where she lays on two blankets and a pillow, she seems to like it there and when she gets tired she goes to staight to the kitchen and into "her spot".

Forgive me for this being so long but I am glad to be able to talk and share with other basset owners. Although, there is a Basset Hound Club of Southern California, I just don't see many bassets here where I live in fact, Trixie is like a star everywhere that she goes including the pet store. People take pictures of her with their camera phones and stop to pet her for up to 10 minutes, others have been know to jump out of their cars just to pet her.
Trixie's Mom

P.S. Once I upload her photos to my computer I will try and post some pictures of my brat.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it's a great group of Basset lovers who will help in whatever way they can. Lots of knowlegeable folks here that will answer whatever questions you have about the breed and help you solve any problems you have.
What a lucky girl Trixie is to have found such a great "forever home". Sounds like you are off to a great start with Trixie. We can't wait to see pictures of her.

Aroooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Very welcome!

I guess you will have trouble finding a basset with all the basset peculiarities in one hound, and that's probable good :D

Post pics of the beauty!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to Cyberhound. What a great thing you've done. My Francis is 7 years old and we've been members for 6 years and this forum is the best thing I've ever done for him. I get so much helpful advice and support here and you will, too!

·
Registered
360 Posts
How wonderful that you adopted your Basset. I've recently adopted an eight year old Basset girl. There are certainly benefits to a mature one.

My 4 year old male is "dry mouth" so Dixie's drooling was an unpleasant surprise. However, she is the sweetest thing and hardly sheds at all, where he sheds a blanket a week. They are all so different. He's lazy and has to be coaxed into his walks ...basically has to be coaxed into staying awake. She's 8+ years old and takes off like a grey hound. And she's up until I go to bed. He's in bed by 8. Go figure!

Congragulations! ...and email me if you have any particular questions.

Faye

·
Registered
775 Posts
Congradulations and Welcome!

I have three bassets Copper who is 1 and Patty and Dolly who are 4 months. All three of mine are all very different personalities and it is never dull for sure. Wish you many years of happiness with your new one and this is a great place for questions and support.

H

·
0 Posts
I adopted a Basset over 2 years ago and was expecting him to be like your Basset!! Instead, he's very hyper, barks all the time, and really keeps me hopping! I love him to pieces, but I would have loved to have a Basset that was calm, non-barking, and yes, LAZY!
:lol:

I think it's wonderful that you've given a Basset a good and loving home.

J

·
0 Posts
Welcome to you and Trixie. I adopted my Jasmine eight months ago and have found this forum to be an invaluable source of information and support. I'm sure you'll find it to be the same. And yes, we want pictures! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts