Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

so I’m new basset owner - had my boy for about 10months now
Now I am so scared of “ bloat “ I try so much to lessen the chances ( smaller meals , slow food bowl etc )
Anyone else just as scared as me :( !?

thanks
John

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Hi all

so I’m new basset owner - had my boy for about 10months now
Now I am so scared of “ bloat “ I try so much to lessen the chances ( smaller meals , slow food bowl etc )
Anyone else just as scared as me :( !?

thanks
John
Don't be - and you should see how you feel AFTER a bloat episode! With one of mine who blew and survived, every time I put his food down I was watching him like a hawk!! Have there been any bloat cases in your hound's background - there was some work done into the whys with this (I think it was Liverpool Uni - years ago) which suggested there was a familial connection. Their research was in Bloodhounds.

There's no point continuing to worry - in any case, in 3 of my 4 cases over the years, they were elderly males. The other one was 8 and fit and well but still.

Pay attention to when you feed and exercise - wait for an hour after exercise before feeding. Leave it 2 hours after a meal before exercising. And don't let the dog take in loads of water immediately after a feed. GDV is around in the breed, but more never get this, than do. You'd be very unlucky to have a case in such a young hound provided he's fit and generally healthy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't be - and you should see how you feel AFTER a bloat episode. With one of mine who blew and survived, every time I put his food down I was watching him like a hawk!! Have there been any bloat cases in your hound's background - there was some work done of the whys with this (I think it was Liverpool Uni) which suggested there was a familial connection. Their research was in Bloodhounds.

There's no point continuing to worry - in any case, in 3 of my 4 cases over the years, they were elderly males. The other one was 8 and fit and well but still.

Pay attention to when you feed and exercise - wait for an hour after exercise before feeding. Leave it 2 hours after a meal before exercising. And don't let the dog take in loads of water immediately after a feed. GDV is around in the breed, but more never get this, than do. You'd be very unlucky to have a case in such a young hound provided he's fit and generally healthy.
No cases with the bloodline - the breeder I got him from said she’s thankfully never had a case
I do try not to worry :(
Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
if you are that worried you can have surgery to tack the stomach. Though the risk of surgery is probably greater than a bloat risk if the line does not bloat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my Bertie is 6 months old and has had diorea since the day we got him and loads of it no matter what we feed him so has any one got ideas yes been vet said he healthy got food of vet cost a fortune and no change please anyone help mark !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi my Bertie is 6 months old and has had diorea since the day we got him and loads of it no matter what we feed him so has any one got ideas yes been vet said he healthy got food of vet cost a fortune and no change please anyone help mark !
I would speak to the vet again and say

1 - 6 of 6 Posts