Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, :):D

I'm Tracey and my Fiance Chad and I are getting our Basset Hound named Lexi on Saturday. She is 1.5 years old and half Hungarian. We currently have a 10 month old Mastiff/German Shepherd girlie named Mika (Meeka).

I am hoping our girls will get along fine! Mika LOVES other dogs no matter how small or big and is VERY affectionate and submissive.

Nice to meet you all! Here are some more recent photos of the girls!

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3617/36939101502046920556325.jpg

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome! Pretty gals you got there!

~Heather

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re

Thank you! I think we are going to change her name to Scout. As well is there really anything special about a "hungarian basset hound"? She is quite a big girl and her bone structure seems bigger than the grown males they have. But I can't find anything on that type of Basset, if it even is a type?

Thanks!:)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Not a "type" so much, but European Bassets overall tend to be heavier than what we have in North America. That's why I used European imports (one Swedish, one German) for my last two breedings, to try to bring in a bit more substance.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Not a "type" so much, but European Bassets overall tend to be heavier than what we have in North America
FWIW this may be changing, Since the FCI uses the Breed standard from the country of origin in the case of the Basset Hounds this is Great Britian, In response to the bbc expose the KC has made changes to the Breed Standard to miminize some of the "over exageration" of feature. Many European breeder are not happy

see Save the Basset - Don't touch the Standard

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hope the introductions went well! Both your basset and your GSD mastiff mix are lovely dogs. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yes I hope the transition goes well for the two getting along. They both look like lovely girls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW this may be changing, Since the FCI uses the Breed standard from the country of origin in the case of the Basset Hounds this is Great Britian, In response to the bbc expose the KC has made changes to the Breed Standard to miminize some of the "over exageration" of feature. Many European breeder are not happy

see Save the Basset - Don't touch the Standard
Breed standard is a can of worms Mikey;). I have no intention of showing and have only owned Bassets for "5 minutes" so to speak. In my understanding all pedigree dogs were bred to do a particular job.

This is probably not the case, but surely the breed standard should reflect the optimum phsycal condition and attributes that any particular breed requires to carryout whatever job it was bred for. :eek:

Probably not for this tread.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi, I'm a new basset owner, too. My Boomer is 4 months old, and shares the house with 2 older cats, 2 gerbils, hubby, me and our 16 yo son.

Your girls are very pretty; I'm sure they'll be come good friends.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Breed standard is a can of worms Mikey;). I have no intention of showing and have only owned Bassets for "5 minutes" so to speak. In my understanding all pedigree dogs were bred to do a particular job.

This is probably not the case, but surely the breed standard should reflect the optimum phsycal condition and attributes that any particular breed requires to carryout whatever job it was bred for. :eek:

Probably not for this tread.
Probably not...however.....:D

People who complain about "breed standards" as a rule have not actually read the standard in question, and are going by what they see either in pets or in the show ring. It is my opinion that the issue is not the standards, but interpretation/compliance.

For example, the Cocker Spaniel standard states:
"The ears, chest, abdomen and legs are well feathered, but not so excessively as to hide the Cocker Spaniel's true lines and movement or affect his appearance and function as a moderately coated sporting dog. The texture is most important. The coat is silky, flat or slightly wavy and of a texture which permits easy care. Excessive coat or curly or cottony textured coat shall be severely penalized. "

Now compare that with the average Cocker Spaniel, especially in the show ring.

Then there's the German Shepherd - the illustrated standard depicts a dog that is much different than you see in any show ring, here or abroad.

It's my personal theory that this phenomenon is worst in extremely popular breeds, and I think that's it's because the percentage of what I call "core" breeders is much smaller than in less popular breeds. What I mean by this is that in very popular breeds, the vast majority of breeders are people who get in and get out of breeding/showing within a few years, so they don't really get to learn and understand their breed, it's standard, and it's function. So they tend to just ape what they see other similar breeders doing, and the drift away from what is correct continues. OTOH, in a less popular breed a larger percentage of the breeders are in it long-term, so they have had time to learn what they need to, and there are more of them (percentage wise) to educate the newbies instead of the blind leading the blind.

If you're interested in the issues leading up to the standard kerfuffle, you might want to read this:

Part 1
The implications of the Kennel Club (UK) changes to the Pekingese standard; also Pedigree Dogs Exposed. Part 1. | Ruffly Speaking
Part 2
The implications of the KC decision on Pekingese; Pedigree Dogs Exposed, part 2 | Ruffly Speaking
Part 3
The implications of the KC decision on Pekingese, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, part 3 | Ruffly Speaking
Part 4
Implications of the KC decision on Pekingese, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, part 4 | Ruffly Speaking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts