Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I adopted my first Basset, Flash, 6 weeks ago and my second, Loretta 3 weeks ago. They're both 20 months old. Flash is a well cared for, well trained pet whose owner was arrested & sentenced to a lot of time in prison ( I don't know what she did, all I know is she took great care of Flash until that time). Flash went back to his breeder & I was fortunate to be the one chosen to adopt him.
Loretta was fed, but otherwise neglected. From the age of 10 weeks she was in a chain link kennel 24-7 and her only human interaction was once a day when someone came round to pour food & water in her bowl.
They're both beautiful and endearing. Flash has come to me with only one problem, which is recreational barking. I haven't figured out yet how to solve this. Loretta has several problems, as you can imagine. She has no idea how to act but I have to say, for a dog isolated in a cage since puppyhood, I'm amazed that she's so friendly and outgoing with everyone she's come in contact with. Later I'll post the problems she's having and will hope for some advise from other Basset owners.
I tried to add photos of them to this post but couldn't make it happen. I'll try posting pics again tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome. Can't wait to see pics! Thank you for adopting! So many hounds need good homes, glad you gave these 2 a chance.

~Heather

·
Registered
111 Posts
WELCOME with great howls and loud baying!

Hope all works well for you. Only advice is Lots of Love; the rest will fall in place.

Miss Daisy and her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU for all the happy welcomes :rolleyes:
I see I did somehow manage to post one pic...twice. The cutie in the pic is Loretta. Her ears are awesome. After she has a drink of water she leaves what looks like two wet tire tracks down the the hall, as a result of her soggy ears dragging along.
When I brought her home from the airport, the first thing I had to do was give her a bath (her first ever) because she was down right filthy. The inside of her ears were so gross, I couldn't believe it.
Being a caged dog with no attention from her owners, I'm surprised that she actually enjoys having a bath! I thought she was going to freak out, but she loved the attention. When one of my kids takes a bath, I have to keep her out of the bathroom because she'll jump in with them!
Emotionally, Loretta is an excessively needy, insecure dog. She's very desperate for constant attention and can't stand it when my other dogs, Flash (my other new Basset) and Bear (a Border Collie) get pets or hugs. I understand this because she was deprived of attention for so long. I hope she will calm down & relax a bit as time goes by.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ok, I was wondering who the dog in the picture was. Loretta is very lovely, actually. Bet she starts feeling more confident as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to ask questions and get wonderful advice. Loretta is beautiful and can't wait to see pictures of Flash!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts