Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first of all thank you for all of the information I have all ready collected from this great board. We recently adopted Otis an he is such a great dog. We had decided on a Basset and I contacted a local rescue and soon found out how difficult the process of adopting through a rescue really is. After almost a month of phone calls and tring to scheldule a inspection of our home and family we decided to go to our local shelter and see what they had and there he was. He was found a stray and I cant believe nobody came for him. He is houstrained and sleeps in his own bed at night and wants to be near us at all times. I know nothing about his history they estimate he is 2 years old. Do you recomend any books or articles to help me help him learn his new name and just som basic commands. He walks very well on a leash and is starting to come when called. I wouldnt say we are having any problems I just want to help him as much as I can. Thanks again for all of the information. Here are some pics of him

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
He's adorable! I too was in the beginning stages of going through a rescue when I found my boy Gibbs at a local shelter. I just love rescues (well I don't have anything to compare them to, both of mine are rescues), they just seem so grateful and loving (mine do anyway). Welcome to the group! Keep the pictures coming!

~Heather

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
He has such a sweet, gentle expression!

As far as training, why not try to find an obedience class in your area: it will not only show you how to train your dog, but it's a great bonding experience.

I think some Pet Smarts offer classes, and sometimes community organizations will sponsor them. Your vet would probably be able to direct you to a good class.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Attention Training and Name Recognition

attention

General most humans learn better from observering and hands on so a class is generally better and more effective than a book. However if you are looking for a dog to learn a few command and a bit of self-control so it is easier to live you do not need a competion style obedience class. Most training facilities offer something called "manners' class which do not have so ridged as set a protocols and general are more enjoyable for the non-competitvely inclined owner and dog. It is always a good idea to observe a class before signing up. Se how the instructor interact and teaches both the human and the canine, Are the method and techniques compatable with you moral and learning stye?

Below are links From CPDT (certified pet dog trainer) and APDT (Asociation of Pet Dog Trainers) web sites.

How to choose a trainer
Why Choose a Certified Pet Dog Trainer?

List of Certified Pet Dog Trainers
Trainer Search

other helpful training links for training

Clicker Training
Clicker Solutions Training Articles
Flying dog press Articles
4PAWS UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
Obedience from cyberhound site
Basset hounds were created to please themselves, not to please their human beings. Those who train their bassets competitively for the sport of obedience are thick-skinned, inventive, and more than a little nuts. But, for all their idiosyncrasies, basset hounds are a very intelligent breed of dog; the trick in training them effectively is convincing them that obedience was their own idea. Once your bassets are smugly convinced that they're conning their dupe of a trainer out of treats and rewards, teaching them anything is easy. With motivational techniques--bassets respond exceptionally well to operant-conditioning styles of training using food--they'll learn as quickly as the brightest border collie. Although bassets are low and heavy, many love to jump, and a few people have successfully trained their bassets for agility competition. But training a basset is only part of the battle; getting them to show off what they know consistently in a trial is one of the greatest challenges of basset training![/b]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum! He is a very handsome boy!
I really like the book by Brian Kilcommons called Great Dogs, Good Owners. Lots of good training advice in that book. I have recommended it to several people who have liked it as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts