Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. We are the proud owner of an almost 9 month old Basset named Annabelle. She really has changed our lives. We picked her out at 6 weeks and brought her home when shew as 7 weeks old. She has been great overall. I say it is because our breeder is phenomenal. He starts house training his puppies at 3 weeks old with a doggy door and does not believe in paper. With that we have a house trained girl who only has accidents because we don't listen or her 3 year old human brother gets in trouble and she doesn't like it. They are very attached. The only issue we have is during meals. Its odd, I guess its the beginning of food aggression. So you can hand feed her and she's fine, never a problem. I can sit with my hands and feet it her bowel and she is perfectly fine. Only issue is if you touch her when she is eating she will growl at you. I can't have that because it scares our son. I have tried popping her but that doesn't work.....I know bassets are stubborn. I can even take her food away and she won't growl or do anything but look at me. My attempts new to fix this is I place the food behind my legs next to a wall, that make her have to fit between by legs or legs and wall to get the food. For the entire time I am touching her with my legs and she just keep eating. Question: Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you so much for allow me to join your group.

Kristie

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
touching her is more threatening than touching her food. trying to correct the behavior through punishment is counterproductive because behaviors such as this often have some fear basis and punishment only feed into justifing there fear. you need to countercondtion,. an this would involve in this case straight classical conditioning. ie Pavol's dogs, the reward is not based on her reaction. Start with some kibble in the bowl her eat. touch her in an area least likely to get a reaction drop addition piece of kibble in bowl. you want to associate being touched while eating with more good stuff is coming. One you got to the point you can touch her any wher on her body and or pick her up etc while eating and not have her react 90% of the time or more then you can make the reward more contingent on behavior like not rewarding for the occasional growl or snap.

Are You Really Performing Classical Counterconditioning? - eileenanddogs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts