Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to be a basset owner! (and a first time dog owner...) I pick up my rescue pooch sometime this week! I'm going to start some of the shopping and wanted to know if anyone could recommend some good products to start with, what kind of food, treats, toys, etc.

And here is my new best friend!

Thanks for any advice you have!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
How old? Boy or girl? name? MORE DETAILS please!!! :D

Food and water bowls (we use Foster's and Smith's long-eared water bowls - they're narrow and deep so the ears fall to either side but not IN the bowl), a leash, a collar, a harness for walking, a dog-bed (on the off-chance that you can get him or her to actually use it instead of your bed or couch), a Kong, a squeeky ball (Moe's favorite cost a buck at Job Lot), nail trimmers, Milk Bones, Greenies, any good quality dog-food that your new friend likes (we use Iams and sometimes Purina Pro Plan - your vet can suggest something for you), ear cleaner, cotton pads to use with the cleaner, dog shampoo (something mild that deodorizes - don't bathe too often because it increases the hound-dog smell), a dog brush or a shedding blade (I prefer the blade), and maybe a clicker if you want to try clicker training (search for "Click and treat" on the web - it's so easy that a child can do it and it works). There are optional things like doggie doors, dog life-vests, bandanas and other articles of doggie clothing, carpeted steps and ramps to help him/her get onto furniture or into cars,
and eventually you may even get another Basset to keep him/her company. :wink:

Obviously you don't need everything all at once but I assure you, you WILL own all these things and more evnetually. 8)

Good luck to you and your new friend - here's wishing you many years of happiness together!

Terry

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What kind of treats? That's is the funniest thing I heard all day. Like he'll be fussy! I suggest you learn to love the dog hair.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I love his /her coloring! What Rescue is he from? Congratulations- Your basset will train you well :)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Oh, yes... and a gallon of white vinegar. Good for those little 'accidents' until your new friend adjust to a new home.

Terry
(very pretty hound, by the way)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More details

I'm picking him up friday from a foster with ABC Basset Hound Rescue in upstate New York. As of now he is being called Odie, but it has been my dream since I was young to name a basset Humphrey Bogart, so that shall be it! Bogie for every day use. (side note: I know there is a Bogie already who gets his picture up here a lot soo...we come in peace!!!) He is just under 2 years old. His previous owners turned him in because of how his legs looked. He is bowlegged, but the vets say not past a normal limit, and he runs around a backyard just fine!

Thanks a lot Terry and everyone else for all of your advice! I went out and bought a lot of it this evening!

And the post about petsmart is right!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The previous owners gave him up for having BOW LEGS???? Mother of God, are you kidding??? :shock:
He looks like a really sweet dog and I'm sure he'll be all you asked for and more!!!!
Have fun and lots of luck! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
He is beautiful and I wish you both many years of love together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
congradulations. my advise Geat ready for the best time of your life and get ready to fall head over hills in Love. !!!!!!! Give lots of love and you will get lots of love in return.
my atticus was turned down by others too because of his crooked leg, and he is the most loving dog (altough we had to work through some issues when we first got him) Am soooo glad he has come into our lives.

Have fun!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
A first time dog owner and you get a basset??? Wow...you are brave! :shock:
Don't know if you already know this, but bassets are super stubborn dogs, they have selective hearing, some drools a lot, wacky, funny, cute, great problem solving skills, and....have I mentioned stubborn??
BUT they are soooo worth every penny! I won't trade mine for anything. :D

Welcome to the club! If you have any questions, I know there are lots of ladies and gentleman in this forum who can help you.

I can't believe the previous owner give him up because of his legs???
They are cute and perfectly fine to me! I wonder how his previous owner's legs look like - let me judge that!! :evil:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Arrrrooooo!!! Another Bogie on the forum. Hummmm!! I guess I'm willing to share a great name.

Mahna: Welcome to the forum!! Our guy was named after Humphrey Bogart , one of my husband's favorite actors who also has sad eyes. His registered name is "Trumbulls Who's Teasin Bogart" and we call him "Bogie". You will love this forum and get wonderful advice. Your Odie/Bogie is one lucky hound to have found such a great forever home. Good luck with your handsome guy.

Arooooos from Bogie!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our Rosie was my first dog and I loved her with all of my heart. She was also a rescue and had been with two other families before us. She was supposed to be house trained but had lived in a kennel so long that she forgot. She trained herself when we left her for a week at my brothers who had two dogs (not Bassets) and when she saw what they were doing it came back to her and we never had another problem with that.

Drool! Oh, yes! Watch the head when Bogie starts slinging it back and forth! Drool coming!

Stubborn? Rosie preferred to think that she knew as much, or more, than us and didn't see too much sense in responding!

Loving! Nothing better? Pouchy butt waddle? Absolutely nothing cuter! Dedicated? To each of us in her own way.

She went to the bridge in June and I would give anything I have to have that drool, that hair, that attiude and my baby girl back with me. I miss her so much.

Sandra

J

·
0 Posts
What made you decide to get a dog?

I thought of one more thing you will need: PATIENCE. Bassets listen and obey about as well as cats do.

Other things to ponder:
  • - even the bowls for long eared dogs seem to make a mess because it looks like sometimes they just fill their mouths with water & then turn around and drip it all over as they walk away. I found if you elevate it about 6" their ears stay out of the bowl and it seems to be neater. Jose prefers the bowl I have for him that is a bit higher. In fact he begs to go outside in the middle of the night to drink from that bowl when there is a perfectly good bowl in the kitchen...

Shedding - at times he sheds so much I wonder how he even has fur left!. A shedding blade is what works, along with those hound glove/rubber glove with nubbies on it. I should do that every day or at least every other. When I don't I pay for it! It's easier to try to brush the dog than constantly be dust mopping and vacuuming big piles of fur in my house.

Drool - José drools during a walk, after drinking, or when company comes over. I keep a little washcloth in a drawer or my pocket when people are over I wipe up his mouth from time to time. I found that I can drape the towel over his muzzle and I gently grab each "lip" on the sides and kinda pull out.... gets all the drool thats on deck waiting to get flung around.

• Good luck and be sure to post stories (& pictures) often!

J

·
0 Posts
Wow, I have to second the comment made about turning in a dog to resuce because of their legs. Man, I cannot even comment on that.
It is great that you are adopting a rescue dog!!! Welcome to the world of Bassets! Looking foward to hearing all the stories!

J

·
0 Posts
Our fluffy pup, Jasmine was my first dog as well, and as other's have said about their dogs, I wouldn't trade her for the world. Stubborness, barking and occassional grumpiness aside, she's my baby girl, and the world's best cuddler. I bet you will have years of happiness with Bogie. I think everyone's got you pretty well set up on the basic necessities. My only addition is to not be too disappointed if he doesn't care much for toys. Jasmine will carry around her stuffed animals, but she doesn't like squeaky toys or balls. She loves tug of war, but that only requires an old towel, and seems to take great delight in chasing me around the park. And in my experience, be prepared for everyone to fall in love with him when you take him out, and for small children to confuse him as a 'sausage dog'. LOL Congratulations! :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bassets! I second everything written so far, but I'd scratch the Greenies from the shopping list. Bassets are strong chewers, and there have been several cases of obstructions when dogs swallowed chunks. Apparently the pieces don't dissolve as they should. Also, invest in a premium food from the beginning, it will pay health dividends in the long run. Wellness, Innova, Natural Balance, Merrick, all make good products. :D I'm sure there are others that are as good out there. Do some research, there's plenty of info on the net about dog nutrition. Daisy & Sally say Aroo to Bogie!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts