Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...thought I posted this once, and now it has dissapeared. Anyhoo, you know how you give expectant mothers advice at a baby shower?? Well...I would like some advice, before I bring the new little man home. I have never owned a Basset, just English Mastiffs, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to read as many Basset books that I could get my hands on, but I want FIRST HAND EXPIERIENCE!!!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi! My Bassett is only 5 months old, so we're kinda new at this too. But I find lots and lots of positive reinforcement is the best route. I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm a crazy woman, but when Daisy does something good (especially bathroom stuff) we hug, kiss, coo.........etc. And always scrouched down to her level. We also have a good system set up for when she goes potty outside....small treats for peeing and bigger treats for pooping. She's been doing really well with potty training. We've only had her for 6 weeks and she definitely wasn't trained when we got her. She'll actually whine at the door now to go out. The only other advice I have is to love him lots, cuddle him lots, and spoil him LOTS! Congratulations on the new guy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have tried to read as many Basset books that I could get my hands on, but I want FIRST HAND EXPIERIENCE!!![/b]
You did your research, that's a GREAT start. I don't know the first thing about English Mastiffs, but it's also good to know you have had prior dog experience, that should help too. Just keep in mind that Bassets have a lot of breed-specific traits, particularly Stubborness!

In addition to reading all the books I could, I also spent a lot of time just reading Cyberhound and another message board before I got my first hound, and have never really stopped. Many times you can find info you need in threads that are already there, or you can ask for advice as specific issues come up.

I got both of my hounds as adult rescues, so I can't help too much with the housetraining, but I do know with anything they need to learn, you must have a lot of patience!!!
Mine were both housebroken, but the stress of changing households made them temporarily "forget" their proper potty habits. I praised them to high heaven when they did their business outside, and good habits came back pretty quickly.

I'm sure others will have plenty more to say.
Let us know when you get the little guy and learn to post pictures! :) Everyone here loves hound pics, and we pretty much go nuts for puppy pictures!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I feel pretty good about it...but I continuiously keep reading that they are "notouriously hard to housebreak". My brother and his family had a Basset, and they dont remember her being that hard...I guess I am a little aprehensive about that.
With my mastiffs, we had no problems housebreaking them...6-8 weeks is all it took, was very easy. But I was ON TOP of them all the time, I never gave them the chance to go in the house.
I also read that treats are a HUGE motivator for them, so I picked up tiny puppy treats for when he does do his duty outside. Hope it goes well...
I will be sure to post pictures of Dallas. We went back to the breeders on Wed to see him again, and spend some time with him, boy he sure is a suggler, I am sure its because he is only 6 weeks old...but I also hope he stays that way!! He is so darn cute, and those tails, they just dont stop wagging!! We were holding him, and he was wagging his little tail...I wanted to bring him home right then!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
How old is Dallas and when do you bring him home? I'm sure he'll stay snuggly. My Daisy has and from the sounds of it so has everyone else's!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Too cute! I can't wait to see basseett baby pictures. Daisy was 13 weeks old when we got her, so I think you're really lucky to have a small baby. They grow way too fast as far as I'm concerned! Enjoy!

K

·
0 Posts
Having just experienced this myself (albeit temporarily!) all I can say is ENJOY!

I am utterly amazed at how wonderful our Basset pup is, we have fostered for rescues and have had quite a few pups passing through - but Jackson is something else all together.

And good luck :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is hope... José was housetrained in no time, he did very well. So keep an open mind, maybe you will get lucky like me! Other basset traits seem to be universal (from everything I read here, compared to my own experiences). I was not too diligent with training, so I ended up with a gentle, loveable basset who happens to think he owns the furniture and anyone's lap, and the world revolves around him. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts