Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Vickie,
I am new to all the puppy stuff, not sure why I decided to get two 馃う馃徎鈥嶁檧锔廏uess my kids leaving home I tried to replace them. Lol. Anyway,?Tucker is 8 months and Maddie is 6 months.. They worry me because they like to eat and chew on sticks, leaves and anything else they can find in the yard! I live back in the woods and try to keep everything picked up out of the yard, but it鈥檚 just no use. Is there anything I can do to help her to stop chewing and wanting to eat stuff she shouldn鈥檛? Will she grow out of that? Maddie has been throwing up all the stuff for the past three mornings! Thanks in advance for your help and options

Registered
Hello, we also jumped onto the puppy trend recently. Our hound is 10 weeks and he鈥檚 crazy! Our previous basset was a really lovely dog, we had her from age 3-9. About eating random things, our previous basset used to search out disgusting dirty water and guzzle it. Constantly was eating random bits of food and non-food. Somehow ate entire bagged loaves of bread from our kitchen counter despite being very short and eventually had stomach surgery to remove what looked like a rubber bouncy ball she probably swallowed long before we got her. Anyway, it turned out the ball was not hindering her digestion as we thought it was so you just have to keep an eye on them. I did notice that she normally chewed sticks but didn鈥檛 swallow them. This puppy chews and swallows everything!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, we also jumped onto the puppy trend recently. Our hound is 10 weeks and he鈥檚 crazy! Our previous basset was a really lovely dog, we had her from age 3-9. About eating random things, our previous basset used to search out disgusting dirty water and guzzle it. Constantly was eating random bits of food and non-food. Somehow ate entire bagged loaves of bread from our kitchen counter despite being very short and eventually had stomach surgery to remove what looked like a rubber bouncy ball she probably swallowed long before we got her. Anyway, it turned out the ball was not hindering her digestion as we thought it was so you just have to keep an eye on them. I did notice that she normally chewed sticks but didn鈥檛 swallow them. This puppy chews and swallows everything!
Thank you for this information! 馃槉

Registered
Is there anything I can do to help her to stop chewing and wanting to eat stuff she shouldn鈥檛?

direct supervision or basket muzzle.

Will she grow out of that?

hmmm in the teething stage they will chew more hoever if they are eating non- food items that behavior is unlikely to change

Registered
We have found that giving our puppy an alternative is best. Carrots ,apple , frozen melon and other 'healthy' alternatives distract her from those tempting items we do not want her to chew. Chew toys and chew treats from pet stores such as venison strips and pigs ears are better than processed food traets.

Have not found an alternative to rolling in fox poo yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
We have found that giving our puppy an alternative is best. Carrots ,apple , frozen melon and other 'healthy' alternatives distract her from those tempting items we do not want her to chew. Chew toys and chew treats from pet stores such as venison strips and pigs ears are better than processed food traets.

Have not found an alternative to rolling in fox poo yet.
Thank you I will try that!! They have all types of toys in the yard, but they鈥檇 rather find a stick to fight over

1 - 6 of 6 Posts