Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new basset owner, her name is June and is 8 weeks old. I have been a nervous father with her seeing it's my first ever puppy. I was wondering if any one had any advice.

My girl friend and I are both hunter and would love to train her to hunt and to track deer sheds. But we have never trained for that and are not sure where to start.

I was also wondering if there was any other "normal" training advice any one has. We do want to teach her how to howl, and she has already tried to. And she already seems good for potty training.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
can't help you out with the deer sheds or blood tracking but if you want to get into bunny hunting that is a different story. We spend time working on discouraging the dogs from deer because hunt deer with dogs is illegal in most states a a good way to end up with one getting killed.

should consider joining the following two facebook groups

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
when it comes to training the dogs to hunt

1. you need to provide opportunity that is taking the dog to where rabbits are where you can let them track

2. If possible pair with a more experience dog to help the get the idea the learn more from other dogs than you can ever teach them. But was they have the idea the need quite a bit of time hunting alone to hone there skill and not develop bad habits like skirting, and depending to much on other dogs to do the heavy lifting.

3. You can use a dragged carcass to get them started

4. we tried a roll cage with domestic rabbits with ours but the rabbits just hunkered down in the cage and never tried to run which would have moved the cage.

basset can be trained and used to flush bird but don't expect to be able to train a point

1 - 3 of 3 Posts