Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a 10 week old puppy, potty training her has been very difficult. We already have a doggy door and sometimes she will go out of it, but half the time she refuses to use the bathroom outside and will come back inside and have several accidents. When I put her outside, she barks and whines incessantly until I let her in, she acts like being outside is punishment. Anyone have any tips on getting her to go outside!?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have 2- 8 week olds we have had them for a week and we keep them on a potty schedule. If they have water we make sure to take them out within an hour. (We stop water an hour before bedtime.) We never leave them unsupervised while around the house. If I see them getting ready to pee I will startle them and run them outside. After they do their business I praise them. (If I can't keep an eye on them in the crate they go) So far it's been going really great and they usually let us known if they need to go potty. We had a handful of accidents, but that's between two pups. Keep up the work it could take a few months for her to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do yours bark and whine ALL the time!? mine does, especially if I baby gate off portions of the house and she can't roam (which I've read youre not supposed to let them roam). Or if I put her outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only when they need potty or attention. They generally sleep all night in their crates without an accident, they only whine or bark when they need to pee. Right now I have the female in the kitchen with me and put a gate up in the doorway to keep her in the kitchen with me. I noticed barking is when they want attention and whine when they need to potty. Outside we haven't left them outside unattended yet. The key for us is schedule and enough play time to wear them out to nap. We even have them on a napping schedule.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I recently got a 10 week old puppy, potty training her has been very difficult. We already have a doggy door and sometimes she will go out of it, but half the time she refuses to use the bathroom outside and will come back inside and have several accidents. When I put her outside, she barks and whines incessantly until I let her in, she acts like being outside is punishment. Anyone have any tips on getting her to go outside!?
Forget the dog door until she makes the connection that she needs to go outside to do her business. To do that, she has to be under constant supervision when she is out of her crate so that you can spot when she is about to “go” and take her outside accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try to encourage being outside with something tasty. Repeat all the time that everything is fine and stroke the dog. Try to take the dog outside for 10-30 minutes every day, and then increase the time spent outdoors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts