Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our new Basset puppy, everyone including the old cranky cat loves her. Especially my 3 year old, which is the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Congratulations! Tell us all about her :)

More importantly, tell me how you got your cat to love your puppy. My cats aren't Molly's biggest fans. I'm hoping this changes as Molly calms down, but for now they avoid her or swat at her. Molly on the other hand loves them, but she doesn't understand why they won't play with her (she thinks they're strange-looking puppies).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol

Everyone wants to see baby pictures. If I ever find the time to get them off my phone, I'll post them.

My son is a bit iffy with dogs and is usually scared of them, which we don't understand as he's never had a bad experience. So I chose the most laid back girl in the litter. She is a love sponge. All she wants to do is sit in someone's lap, or be carried and held.

As for the cats, I can't figure it out myself. My oldest grew up with a Great Dane (they were one month apart in age) so I guess she remembers a bit about puppies. She tolerates kisses and sniffs until she's tired of it and then makes her escape. This same cat loathes the stray kittens I sometimes foster, and wants nothing to do with our other Basset. He was a much more energetic pup, though. I hope that once the puppy grows "up" a couple of years from now, she and the cat will be buddies like my cat used to have with the Great Dane. They even slept together. The other cat usually looks at the puppy with disdain but just hisses and runs away, rather than over-reacting. Which is as close to affectionate as he'll probably get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is wonderful! i would love to have another basset and when we get another place that is bigger with a fenced in yard we're thinking about it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts