Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new boy next week :D . Here are some pictures of him at 4 weeks young. His name is Sir George of the Highlands. He will be 7 weeks young next week when he comes home with us. I've been waiting for 3 years from the breeder, and they finally have a litter this time. A litter of 4, 2 boys and 2 girls. Unfornately, one of the boys died a week later, he was not breathing when he was born, the vet was able to make him breath. But he did not make in the end. :( Since I've been waiting for 3 years, the breeder let me had the pick of the litter. I had my mind set on the boy even before I went to see him, because I can't stand to see a girl dog squat and pee (even though I'm a girl myself, I just think that looks very odd) I like my Chuck stands there and pee, he looks so dignified.

I also have a question regarding crate training the baby. I have never crate trained my two bassets before. They both came house trained when I adopted them from the basset hound resecue. Since we both work full time, the baby will have to stay in a crate in order not to mess up the house. We are planning to put the crate right next his brother-to-be, Chuck's bed. I wonder if that will upset the baby if he sees his brother wondering around, and he has to be stucked in a cage? Anybody has experience crate training a puppy when the older dog has free run of the house? Any advice will be appreciated.

[attachmentid=30]

[attachmentid=31]

This is Chuck, the brother-to-be.
[attachmentid=32]

Attachments

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I had my mind set on the boy even before I went to see him, because I can't stand to see a girl dog squat and pee (even though I'm a girl myself, I just think that looks very odd) I like my Chuck stands there and pee, he looks so dignified. [/b]
Many male bassets also squat to pee only lifting a leg to mark.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Both my two were almost a year old before raising their legs to pee.

I can't help you on the crate issue, my two are locked in the kitchen during the day, with a dog door out to their pen.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My guy always squats to toilet. Don't know why??? Sorry can't help with crate training, but I think it is going to be difficult to train a pup if he is going to be put in a crate all day. Or do you have someone who is going to pop in several times a day to let him out to potty and feed and water him?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wonder if this is a Basset characteristic. My friends make fun of Belvedere for squatting. He'll lift the leg on our walks around the neighborhood ...and squats when he's in the backyard. As someone said, perhaps it's a territorial thing with some dogs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning didn't hike his leg to pee until he was probably 18 months old, and even now he does it only half-heartedly. Stomps, on the other hand, almost flips over he hikes that leg up so far. Cute dogs. Chuck looks a little skeptical about the pending addition.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
"Crate training" refers to a housebreaking method that won't work if the puppy is left in the crate all day and has to use it as a bathroom--an arrangement that defeats its purpose. The basic idea behind crate training is that the puppy comes to regard the crate as the place where it eats and sleeps. Dogs avoid fouling areas where they eat and sleep. However, if the puppy is forced to foul its crate, the crate is no longer useful as a housebreaking tool.

A seven week old puppy will need to void multiple times during the day. Suggest arranging for someone to visit a few times during the day to let the puppy out to potty and stretch his legs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Want to hear a funny one? When we first got Elmer, my father in law actually took his crate and sectioned it off into two levels. He built a shelf out of smooth plywood, actually sanded it so he wouldn't get a splinter. One was about two inches higher and to the rear of the crate, and that's where his bed was. On the lower level, we put in a puppy training pad. Not knowing any better, we did that for awhile, until I read that wasn't what you are supposed to do! He was only 8 pounds at 8 weeks, and so this arrangement wasn't too disastrous, but we took him to the office with us every day, and he only slept in the crate (in our bedroom!) at night. So really, he didn't spend enough time in the crate to develop any "den soiling" problems before we realized our mistake! And yep, a basset puppy needs to be let out many, many times a day. Have you considered doggy day care? :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray slept on a cushion in a small crate next to our bed- when he needed to pee during the night he would whine and move around because he didn't want to soil his bed. I would jump up and carry him outside to his potty place sometimes 3 times in a night.

This helped him to understand that if he signalled me, I would take him out to potty.

During the day if we couldn't be there for a few hours, we would leave him in a gated area of our kitchen with a crate with the door open. He could go in the crate to sleep, but if he couldn't hold it, there was a paper outside the crate to pee on.

This worked for us, and helped to get him housebroken quickly. Hope this helps. Good luck with the new pup!

·
Registered
465 Posts
No room in this crate to relieve oneself! I always worried that they were crowded. This is the largest crate made that I know of, almost 50 inches long. I have tried using two crates for them, but they whine and cry for each other. They only sleep in them at night, because they would never go to bed if we didn't use them. During the day, even when we are not at home, they have the run of the house. Elmer is the beg hog.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A previous Springer I owned, Bouncer, (who I owned from being a puppy to the sad day he had to be put to sleep at 14 years old) only started lifting him leg when he was 11 years old....

·
Registered
775 Posts
Elmer-n-Button:

Your hounds look like mine! As you can see in the photo, the crate door is wide open. They still go in there to nap. Looks tight to me but they love to be together in the same small space.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Bogie doesn't squat, really...He mostly stretchs his legs out backwards really really far, until he is practically on the ground, and then goes. He only lifts leg to pee up on a bush or flower.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mahna,

Dudley does something similar, but not quite what you described.

Dudley stretches out somewhat, but basically stands up regular to pee. He does lift his leg to mark.

My favorite funny that Duds does is out on a walk. He'll lift his leg to mark, then get distracted by something, anything, or nothing. He'll then just stand there, leg lifted, staring into the distance like a big 'ol dufus! :unsure: Sometimes I have to give the leash a shake to snap him out of it so we can continue. B)

I hereby nominate this thread for the "Oddest Topic of 2006" on Cyberhound! :lol:

Sorry for hijacking your thread about your new puppy, I wish you all the best with him!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Both Bassets we have had, neutered males, squatted. They get in what looks like a stretched out show dog stance for judging and gol Very rarely would Bubba hike his leg, and so far Bogie hasn't tried. Maybe he will as he gets older.
Crate training really helps with the potty training. Just be sure the crate isn't to large to allow for a bathroom area. We put a large cardboard box in ours to take up space with a puppy many years ago. You will have to be viligant and take the little guy out very often so he doesn't soil his crate space in the beginning. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi you will be looking forward to your new boy coming. I cannot help but worry. Most bassets leave their mums at about 8 weeks old, (many breeders like them to say until they are 12 weeks old.) If you are out at work who will give the new baby the meals he needs during the day? maybe you wont be out so long but I know mine couldn't have gone for more than 3 hours between feeds at that age.

Enjoy having your new boy, and looking forward to seeing more pictures of him :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Your new puppy is precious, but I have to question the wisdom of crating him all day. If there's no one you could depend on to come by several times a day to take him out, do you have a room in your house where you could safely gate him? You could put puppy papers down. It may not be the best arrangement, but would be far better for the little guy than having him be crated in a small area for hours on end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm very surprised that my squatting comments get so much response :p . What I really meant was I like seeing my current boy doing a show dog stance when he pees. He only lift his legs when he tries to mark.

I completely understand that a 7 weeks old puppy will not be able to hold for any extended period of time, I thought crate training may be an option for us. After talking to a couple of dog trainers, we have decided we will get a baby play pan, and let the boy stay in there and give him space to go if he really needs to while he is still too young to hold. I will go home every day at lunch time to let him go outside. Hopefully, things will get better when he gets older.

I have also consulted my vet regarding bringing him home at 7 weeks. The breeder and I we both use the same vet, and he was the one who helped during the delivery of those puppies. He has seen the puppies many times since their birth, and they are doing very well. The boy and his sisters at 9lbs at 6 weeks today. He assured me that he should be fine to go home with us next week.

Thanks again for everybody's advise and concerns. I will definitely post pictures once he's here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts