Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
As I have written on several posts, Woody goes in tomorrow to be neutered, microchipped and vacs. I am obviously nervous for him..I was wondering if sending along an I old t shirt I have worn for my scent is a good idea..thinking that it would make him more comfortable when he is recuperating to have a "smell of mama"...this maybe a dumb idea but I was wondering on your thoughts and if anyone has advise.

Thank you all in advance,

Woody's mom Kristi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if it is a good idea or not, but when we boarded our pup for the first time, we wanted her to have her *own* blankets and the vet office (where we board) said they don't allow any outside items to be brought in for fear of bedbugs now. so...they snuggled her into their blankets and she seemed to do just fine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woody has his own blankets, but his favorites are "our" blankets so I thought a t shirt of moms might help with sent...I guess I will just have to ask our vet....thanks for the well wishes...mom will feel much better when he is home and I can cuddle him myself...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good luck, Woody...and his mama. I know when Molly was in for her spay, I was a wreck. And she had to spend the night too :( I was getting anxiety attacks and they stopped as soon as I had her back with me. These bassets are so lucky to have people who love them so much!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Awww.... thinking of you today, Woody...

Will the vet's office let you be with him? I was surprised to learn that the animal hospital i went to considered itself an "open" hospital. so they took him back and gave him meds. then he came out and sat with me as he became drowsier and drowsier. and then i was allowed to come in during the surgery and watch his procedure, which was an interesting experience. good to be with him, though. And also there when he woke up right away from anesthesia.

anyways, don't know if your vet might be like that too? but can ask... or if not during the procedure, i wonder if they'd let you sit with him in the back when it's done...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a good idea..I haven't asked the vet that...they are excellent on calling immediately afterwards to give me update and then let me get him fairly quickly...maybe I can just be there...I know I worry....and he will definitely be cuddled when he's done...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
ohhh now i'm having a scared
i'm meeting with my new vetlady tomorrow for a checkup.
then they're gonna' set an apt for two weeks from now so they can buy me a shovel. i don't know why. they say they're getting me a spade. I can dig on my OWN thank you very much...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't worry too much, Esther. You'll get pain medicine so you'll hardly feel uncomfortable when you get home. Then you'll be pampered and showered with love and treats. In a day or so, you'll be back to normal...playing, sniffing, eating everything in sight ;)

Hopefully you won't have to wear the cone. Molly left her stitches alone, so I never used it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know, funny thing...I haven't had a puppy in over twenty years but I did have my cat neutered last year and they left his empty sack in place....I am hoping that is not the case here.....not sure the difference...and hopefully Woody won't have a cone either....

Good luck baby Esther...you will be fine and mom will shower you with kisses and love...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
aaahhhh!! i had to wear a cone for a whole week :(
when i slept and when i was at home alone in my crate.
they made fun of me and called me a conehead.

but then my person got me a softer padded cone from the pet store after a few days, because the hard plastic one was uncomfy. that was a lot better.

hope you don't have to wear one, but there's a tip in case u do, Woody and Esther.

--your pal, Worm

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Worm....mom has already decided that she will run to petsmart and buy me the more comfortable one if I need it....(I am the baby as you know...:D)....And I have put my order in for a special treat when I am better..:rolleyes:.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes....tomorrow morning will be a long day for me....as well as Woody..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update....
Dropped Woody off at vet at @7a in middle of snowstorm....He was so happy to be there and happily trotted off:)

Vet called at 9a to say he was out of surgery, tubes removed, microchipped and doing fine.....wheww..:rolleyes:. I can pick him up btw 1p-6p. I will be there at 1:01p. Thanks again for the words of support and advise.

Woody's mom Kristi:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
yay woody!

the vetlady is coming to see me in about 15 minutes.
the humans better not be late getting home from work for the "lunch break"
oh yeah, we gots this thing called a MOBILEVET. She drives in this big old truck and I get to walk out front and hop in like I'm going for a car ride! And I can see the my yard the WHOLE TIME!!! I haven't met ber before yet but they say she's nice. I hope they're right! Here goes nuttin!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Glad things went smoothly for Woody! My cocker/springer mix got neutered about a month ago. It didn't even phase him, the hardest part was keeping him calm so he wouldn't tear his stitches.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i liked the vetlady and her big truck.
they stuck me with something but I have so much skin i barely felt it.
i wanted to wiggle and play but they made me stay still.
i did find a powerbar wrapper under the passenger seat of the big truck.
I got my hair (ears) washed and a pedicure... and they pet me and gave me treats.
I suppose I can see them again.
They wanna give me that spade thing in two weeks.
we'll see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts