Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No running, jumping, chewing or licking stitches...hahaha! Try getting a puppy to not play, it's impossible unless you crate them. Honestly, I am of the mind to let the dog do as much as they feel comfortable. That said, I didn't take Winston for walks until the stitches were out. He was his normal self within a day and all I did was make sure he didn't over do it. I was lucky and never needed to use the cone of shame with any of my dogs. I did buy him a special chew stick that kept his mind off the stitches for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were given sedatives because I was scared I would have a hard time with keeping him inactive enough and away from the stitches. So far he's been doing good. A lot of jumping on and off the couch though, so I gave him one of the sedatives and now he's asleep. I've just never had a dog who's gone through surgery or neutering or anything.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Winston is my first boy - I've had all girls in the past. Spaying is far more invasive than neutering. but I was still a bit nervous too when he came home. I am a firm believer in letting nature do its job, but I did my best to limit jumping...helping him up on the sofa vs. letting him work his way up on his own. Still, he had to climb steps to go in and out of the house to potty (six steps down to the yard) and the vet said this was fine, but no excessive stair climbing. Limit activity where and when it's possible so the stitches stay in place. Keep checking them to make sure they aren't red and swollen or looking infected.

Winston bothered his stitches the day after surgery - they felt funny to him and probably were sore, I'd imagine. After that, he never bothered them and I kept a close eye to make sure. I hate the cone of shame and he was quite scared of it, so I didn't want to use it. Luckily, he didn't need it.

Others may not take the same laissez-faire attitude I have regarding this, and that's ok. I am mellow when it comes to my dogs and it seems to work for them. I hope August heals up quickly and is a good boy, staying away from his stitches.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Welcome to the club, August!!

Well, August's Mommy, August is probably feeling very, very badly. After all, how could you put him through something like this? (like my person did with me.. :mad:) First of all, he is going to need a lot, I mean A LOT of TLC. That means a lot of attention and lots of pets and "you're a good dog." Then he is going to need a lot, I mean A LOT of treats. Preferably hot dogs, steak, bacon. Ya know, the tasty special stuff. Actually steak for every meal would be quite nice. Yeah. like for a week afterwards (it takes some time for us to heal ya know!). Me had to wear the "Cone of Shame," but my person went and got be a "Comfy Cone" which is a padded cone of shame, and I had to wear it for a week per Dr. D's orders. Finally, it wouldn't hurt to get August a nice new toy or something. It helps the healing process.
--Sincerely, Worm

·
Registered
633 Posts
Somebody had posted a link to this collar BiteNot Collar - Groomers.com. I have found the biggest pain when m dogs have been spayed and neutered is the other dogs trying to lick it. August will be up in no time feeling better. I just made sure my dogs did not lick the stitches. I am sure if you are worried about his activity level giving him a sedative is fine if it makes you feel more at ease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Redd done very well when he had his surgery never licked at stitches or anything. I gave him little sips of water and very small tidbits of food not a full meal for the 1st day. Day 2 he was back to his self but he was kept off furniture stairs etc. for a week to avoid a tear in his stitches. By two weeks he was his crazy self.:lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Daisy is scheduled in a couple of weeks for spaying. Just might have to consider the BiteNot collar. I am taking about 5 days off work when she comes home. So hoping I can stay close to watch her. But worry after that. How long before little girls seem to recover?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly had laser surgery for her spaying. She was groggy when she came home the next day, but after that she was pretty much her old self. She came down with a UTI about day 2 from coming home, but meds cleared that up quickly and she healed well.

·
Registered
697 Posts
When Hen was neutered he was back to his self after about 2 days. No cone and no stitch licking so we where lucky but he clearly got the same info as worm did about treats! He insisted that he must have yoghurt drops, frozen yoghurt and some of mummys dinner at every available oppertunity!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts