Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago, before I had him, Bogie was neutered. I know they used the self-dissolving stitches. The past few days he's been licking that area a lot, and when I looked, it just seemed a little red where new hair was growing in, but it didn't bother him when i touched it.

He's had an eventful weekend, running around a lot outside with other dogs, and after a bath I see that there are now two spots that are a little *****/bloody looking. Similar to an exploded pimple. It still doesnt bother him when I touch it, but looking at it...I can't imagine it doesnt hurt a little.

I am planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen with the self-disolving stitches or if there is anything I can put on them to make it more comfortable for him.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Not my dogs but I had this happen to me with those sutures that are suppose to dissolve and as soon as these dissolving sutures were removed the problem disappeared. As my vet uses sutures that need to be removed it's never happened with my dogs. :D

Hope Bogie is fine today after his visit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Duncan had the same problem when he was neutered. It was the knot from the dissolvable sutures that caused his infection which started out exactly how you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discharge

I am experiencing a simular problem with my male basset. It started about three days ago----but the discharge of puss is leaking out of his penis. You may be thinking that we have gotten this confused with something else..... :? However, other individuals have recently visited our home and reassured us that it is-- in fact ---discharge from some type of an infection. He will be going to the Vet in two days....he seems to be feeling okay, but we have noticed him whimpering more than usual in the morning. But we may be a little sensitive now---afterall, he's our baby.

This is our first puppy and we love him dearly----if anyone has experienced this problem and has any advice we would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I can't believe your vet would make a pup wait 5 days to be seen when it may have a post op infection. :evil:

Any signs of redness, infection, swelling, pain, fever, vomiting, or any concerns in a post operative dog should immediately be reported to your veterinarian. Most vets give post operative instructions which include things to watch out for and what to report ASAP.

Let us know what the vet says and I 'd think seriously about calling to get him seen today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
waiting five days for the vet

Hi Barbara,

We are very new to forums.....I should have stated that Vegas (our puppy) was neutered just over 2 months ago----we are trying to see if it may be related to his self-dissolving stitches.......so this discharge did not occur immediately after this procedure.

I think you were replying to our message about the discharge for male basset puppy?? (having to wait five days to see the vet)

It was actually two days we have to wait....I guess we don't haveto.....but we explained the problems and made an appointment. We came to the forum to see if it may be a little more urgent than the vet let on.....not that we don't trust him, but he knows we are SuPeR sensitive about our bundle of joy.

We just began to notice a verysmall amount of this discharge the first three days.....no other symptoms of any kind were present. We thought we were seeing something else......but on the third day there was a significant amount. We called the vet and explained.

Today there has only been a small amount....keeping the area very clean seems to have helped.

I cannot seem to find any information on this type of thing......

Thank You!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I was counting the number of days since the symptoms started for a total of 5 when he finally saw the vet.

If your pup hadn't just been neutered I wouldn't be as concerned. I've male dogs/puppies with a discharge for the penis and it was called balanitis. I don't recall how my vet treated this but it didn't turn into anything serious. So maybe this is just a slight infection and your vet will be able to set your mind at ease tomorrow.

For an intersting website on some conditions oof the reporductive tract in the male dog see Morphology and Diseases of Testes

Hope all goes well at the vets. Let us know how your pup is doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts