Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped Squishy off at the vets for her to be spayed. She just turned 6 months yesterday and weighed in this morning at 46 lbs.

Oh, my poor girl. NOT getting this done wasn't an option, but boy did my heart break when I dropped her off :(. Although, she loves people so much and was too busy sniffing around the vet techs for food and kisses to notice I had snuck off.

I know these surgeries get done all the time and every day, but I'm nervous for my girl. Especially when she sees we're not around. Poor honey :(

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
I know the feeling. Don't worry, she will be fine, and much better off in the long run spayed :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's always hard leaving them, especially for something like that. She'll be fine and you'll get to be the one to comfort and spoil her when she gets home. (Remind me of these words in 3 months when my Molly goes in to be spayed). Stay strong, Mama!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It is hard to leave them, but she'll be fine, Mom.
I love her name, by the way. Very cute and fitting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for some much needed reassurance :) I'm a new dog / puppy / Basset Hound Mommy, so I was nervous.

The vet called though, and she's awake and charming all the techs there for scratches and kisses. So no complications / issues with that. WHEW!

Although, I got the "honor" of dropping her off while my fiance will be the savior and the one to pick her up tomorrow morning. Hmmm, good planning on his part, I think!

Now - onto the aftercare and keeping her quiet part. There goes my sanity :eek:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cannoli barely paused after being spayed, she was a bit calm the day we brought her home, but after that she was back to her old self.

She did develop a reaction about a week after her surgery, when the buried sutures started to break down. The vet said she was allergic to them, which was uncommon but not unheard of. It happened all of a sudden and scared the bejeesus out of us. It was no biggie though, he gave us some pads and a rinse to keep the area clean and put her on an antibiotic. Our vet is a cut up and he said Cannoli is a delicate flower LOL More like a wrecking ball!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..... and he said Cannoli is a delicate flower LOL More like a wrecking ball!!

HA! Wrecking ball. Yeah, I'm familiar with that. NOTHING seems to phase Squishy. Sitting on a bee hive (twice) - No problem for her (Problem for Mommy since I'm allergic, but that;s another story). HUGE thunderstorm and damaging winds as a 12 week old puppy - didn't even notice it. Baby gates (cheap ones) to keep her out of the kitchen - HA, those were knocked down in no time. Fence to keep her out the garden and away from the hot peppers - that went down like tissue paper (we're currently on fence #3. Hopefully this one is strong enough to last until next spring when we can construct a real one. Somehow I doubt it).

BTW....my fiance says that Cannoli is a perfect name for a basset. He wishes he had thought of it. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hope like me, you'll have absolutely no problem once you get Squishy (brilliant name) back from the vet. Dogs aren't like people and they don't realise they've been operated on and soon are back to normal.

Your message reminded me of when mine were done, my two sisters were spayed on the day they were 6 months old so I had two to worry about! My vet adores Bassets and she has really been enjoying watching these two grow big and strong and they were the first Basset 'twins' she had spayed one after the other!

I was worried they might lick each other's stitches but when we collected them, their stitched area was covered in some white breathable sticky tape and it stayed on (apart from some of the edge that started to come away) until they went back for a check-up and we never ever saw them take any notice of it at all which surprised me. My vet must be a neat stitcher too because all that was visible was a tiny stitch at one end and it was like she had done 'invisible' stitches!

·
Registered
774 Posts
BTW....my fiance says that Cannoli is a perfect name for a basset. He wishes he had thought of it. :)
Thanks, that will make my daughter grin for sure. Since you mentioned it I have to relate how we came up with it. . .

I have a friend with a chihuahua dauschund mix named "Noodle". Noodle was supposed to be named something silly like "Tink" but their 5 year old daughter insisted the dogs name was Noodle and it just stuck. We adopted Cannoli right about the same time they got their dog, she came to us with the name Zoe which didn't fit her at all. My daughter and I started joking that since she was a bigger long dog we needed to name her after a bigger pasta, like mannicotti, or lasagna. I said "No, she should be Cannoli because she is long and full of sweet stuff." We laughed it off but my daughter came back to me later that day and said Cannoli was sticking for her. I agreed, it started as a joke but it was the right name. It also was an easy transition since it ended with the same "ee" sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're HOME!

....and we're home :D

She's definately out of it still and in some pain / discomfort, but she's aware enough to ask to go outside for potty. Oh, my heart breaks at how pathetic she looks.
Hopefully once the stiches come out they're "invisible" like Sophie's girls. WHat a relief to have her home, though.:rolleyes: And no Cone of Shame, either.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nothing sadder than a sad basset. Cannoli's little belly is just as pretty and smooth as anything, I bet Squishy comes out great as well.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Awww, she looks so sad. Ok, I know that's a normal basset look, but still! (Gentle belly rub for Squishy.)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad to hear she came through the surgery just fine and is doing well. I know every time I send any of my dogs in to be put under I'm on pins and needles till I get the call they are out and ok. It's just a normal motherly thing I think. LOVE the name squishy by the way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I felt the same way when I dropped Doppler off to get neutered. Not only was he having surgery but I had to drop him off the day before because I had class Tuesday morning which is when the vet does surgeries. I was a nervous wreck. I called my mom and my husband sobbing. So I understand your nervousness. And I'm sure Squishy is doing great now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts