Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I carried some stuff to our local Humane Society and as I was leaving I noticed a dog over in the corner all alone. I looked and it looked bassety and so sad. I called the next day and asked about her and they said she was a basset mix. The lady I talked to said she was huge and not cute like a basset. Well she is actually 5 lbs. smaller than Copper and very cute. She had been there almost three months I contacted Basset Rescue and haven't heard back and called and checked on her and went to visit her,I thought if they knew someone was interested they wouldn't put her down. Well to make a long story short I picked her up Wed. She is doing wonderful and is so sweet. She was spayed Wed morning and everything is great. Copper and Dolly are doing great with her,Patty is a little more protective when she is inside but is okay outside. Here are some pics of her. She seems to think the camera is a snack so some are a little off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
God bless you! Aren't you the greatest?!?! I'm sure that little Nellie appreciates you so much and so don't we all!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is why I must stay out of shelters. I too would come home with dogs. She is so lucky that you rescued her-thank you for having such a kind heart.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lady at the shelter said the people who turned her in said she was a basset/great dane. What a mix!! She is about 3 years and so far has a wonderful personality.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The lady at the shelter said the people who turned her in said she was a basset/great dane. What a mix!! She is about 3 years and so far has a wonderful personality.[/b]
Basset/Great Dane? I wonder how that particular pair managed to get together? :blink:

God Bless You!!! I think she is an unusual and handsome-looking dog. Her face is interesting... sort of noble-looking (very un-Basset-like - Moe is more goofy than noble ;) ). Perhaps that is the Great Dane in her showing? :) I once met a Dachshund/Basset mix named Malcom. He was very handsome in a very unusual way, also. Good luck with your new girl.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What a wonderful thing for you to do, I would love to bring more home, but we have our hands full with the two hounds and one miniature pinscher. She really is a pretty girl.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's so great of you! I wish I could have more, too, but there's no more room in the inn. .
What a pretty face. She looks pretty bassety to me, with longer legs and shorter ears!

·
Registered
86 Posts
She is so adorable and your story brought tears to my eyes that you brought her home with you!

Take care and enjoy her...she looks like she has already fit in!

Best wishes to both of you!!!!

Kathy

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Those found dogs are the best, too.

Lady is a bit of a found dog - a neighbor of my sister's kept her in the backyard and would throw a loaf of bread out to her every once in a while - but that's about it. They were going to put her down when they sold their house, so I nabbed her - well, I asked first. And she's been just a lovely girl!

I had a found beagle, too - what a sweetie! Biscuit loved him, too - but I turned him over to a rescue because he'd been trained to kill cats and wanted to eat my elderly cat - not a good mix!

Long way around to say, good for you and you'll be so happy you did this every day for years to come! :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) Nellie is one lucky lady to have found such a great forever home. :) I would have guessed Pointer and Basset mix, she has a head much like a Pointer. Wow!! Great Dane, now I can see that as well, just amazed she isn't taller. Enjoy your new addition to the family.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Great Dane? Hmmmm..... I see Dane in her head, but it seems to me it would show more elsewhere, too. Still, genetics being what they are, who knows? The important thing is she's in a good home now. Did the shelter know whether or not she's ever had puppies? Why was she turned in? (I'm just being nosey here :blink: ) ........

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think she's beautiful and that you're both very lucky. You for being able to bring home a dog from the shelter and her for having a good home now. Congratulations to adding a great dog to your family!

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Huge and not cute like a basset" Sheesh, some people. Bless your heart and welcome Nellie. You are lovely and lucky, So's your mom.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aruuu, to answer your question I am not sure if she has had puppies she looks like she has. Our shelter is not the greatest in the world they didn't have alot of information but she said she had been turned in because she barked. She hasn't barked anymore than usual here and seems to have a wonderful disposition,she even gets along with the cat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts