Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 9 month old basset who is very needy. He follows me everywhere and whines a lot. I mean A LOT. He'll bark non stop if I put him in his crate to do my house chores (mopping the floor) or leave him even just for a while. He just won't stop following me and trying to jump on my lap especially when I'm busy doing something. He likes to countersurf, but only my work desk, never the kitchen counter.
He is also very hyperactive even though I take him for a walk 1.5 hours every day and give him toys. I got him 3 months ago and he used to bite. He's getting better now and doesn't bite anymore, but his needy-ness disturbs my working hour (I work from home).
Do you have any suggestion? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Do you have any suggestion?
change your expectations of a basset as a couch potato.

1. Walking is not exercise., you need the puppy running but not being complessed to do so. so need to be free play like fetch, or tug of war.

2. change your definations. if you consider the dog "needy" it means you are going to be witholding the attention the dog dogs needs. THis never works . A dog never becomes less needy by ignoring it. the solution and only solution is providing the attention the dog need when it needs it even better before it needs it. As it need become met in a consistent manner over time it will need less attention this is proven in children as well as dogs

see Harmoney Programme
The Cure For Attention Seeking Behaviour Disorders

It is so simple – following the “crying baby” model for filling the need as soon as it arises, ASBDs can be entirely avoided as well as cured by giving focussed attention immediately and as soon as the request has been received.

This does not mean one has to put one’s entire life on hold or “run rings around the creature” – it is literally a simple little flash of attention at the right time and when first asked for it; the classic “a stitch in time saves nine” principle.

Rather than “rewarding” attention seeking behaviour, it never gets to escalate, the creature’s energy system remains balanced and the disturbed behaviours never need take place at all.

As the babies who are fed when they are hungry cry markedly less or not at all, creatures who receive attention energy (or love or recognition energy) when they ask for it, their attention seeking behaviours become markedly less frequent, markedly less dramatic and may cease altogether once the system has been in operation for a while and the creature has understood that not only can it get what it needs just the for the asking, but also it’s energy system has become more robust, more healthy, more resilient and won’t collapse when there is a time when attention is in short supply.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly is 8 months and needy as well, bassets are just more social than some dogs. I too work from home and it can pose an issue. Sometimes she'll settle and let me work, while other times, I just have to take a break and spend time playing. That makes her happy and she is more inclined to let me do what I need to do afterward. Does your puppy want to nap after a walk? Sometimes Molly will want a nap after her daily walk and that is a good time to get work done. Another option is to get a Kong and fill it with something your dog likes. I fill one with kibble and peanut butter. It gives her something to do for a while. It's a saving grace for me sometimes.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Worm also follows us everywhere and always wants to be where we are. He will play with his toy, but if we move away, he stops playing with it and wants to do what we're doing. He is 8 months now.

This surprised me because the last dog I had (a wiener dog) was quite independent and could entertain himself for hours. Not Worm.

Well, he is learning slowly, so we always praise him when he plays independently and gets interested in something by himself.

I think when we really need a break, we do put him in the crate for an hour or two. He sleeps, and we can get stuff done. When we work, he is in there 4-5 hrs during the day. So on weekends, an hour or two in the crate isn't bad for him, i don't think.

ps. Molly McFreckles, I think Worm is related and is a McFreckles too! (what a creative last name there...)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used to say when Woody was smaller (he's 5 months now) that if I just still had one of those baby slings I could just wear him and get things done....I think it helps with him that he has an older "brother"..(an inherited 10+ yrs chihauhau mix)....but I do notice that he is getting better at letting me work and content to lay in a spot where he can see me but let me be...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm hoping that by getting another basset, Molly will have someone else to entertain herself with sometimes. I certainly don't mind that she follows me around the house, but I often feel bad when she wants to play and I simply can't (due to the fact that I teach college and often need quiet time at home to get work done). She's a little more independent at 8 months, but I think this is as independent as she'll get. Don't get me wrong, she gets plenty of attention - walks, playtime, etc. Sometimes, Mom needs a break!

Wworm - LOL, we named her in an Irish pub on Cape Cod last summer. She gets more freckles everyday. We'll see if her brother is a McFreckles too...I'm hoping :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bassets gain more confidence as they get older but you do need to encourage them.They feel a little insecure,at first,(the first year usually)so following you makes them feel a little more secure.At this time,between puppydom and 1 year old,you may need to work around their needs instead of them work around your needs. It will be time well spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hazel is very clingy too. She follows me around all the time. When I go to the bathroom she lays on the floor and shoves her nose under the door and cries the whole time. The vet estimated that she was two years old, so I guess sometimes they don't get over it as fast, or it has something to do with her treatment before we had her. I don't know.

She is willing to go to her room (the master bathroom) and nap sometimes. Which is a blessing. Her food and water and bed are in there and she's got loads of room to move. So I usually shut the door to give her some privacy and she dozes for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts