Basset Hounds Forum banner

Needing a larger dog bed

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BubbaLeroy 
#1 ·
I'm needing to add to the dog bed I made a few months ago. They all three fit for now, but within a month they won't have room.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aww they look so cute up there all together. Do they do that by themselves, or is there some coaching involved?

~Heather

#4 ·
Whoa.. that bed is awesome! Did you get a set of plans somewhere on the 'net? I bet buying the PVC yourself was far less expensive than buying it from Petsmart. It kinda looks like IKEA for bassets.. or BASSKEA. Gheez, I crack myself up.

Seriously though, I'd be interested in knowing the pieces/parts you used to make it!

#5 ·
To answer a few questions:

"Do they do that by themselves, or is there some coaching involved?"
Dozer and Digger were up there already, but Dudley couldn't get his rear off the ground, so I gave him a boost.

"..maybe they all like being squished together."
Dozer had enough just after I took the pictures. He doesn't like to be bothered when sleeping.

"I'd be interested in knowing the pieces/parts you used to make it!"
I spent $110 all together, $50 for pipe & fittings, $60 for the large pillows (walmart), and I had the plywood on hand, so no added cost for it. I just cut to fit the pillows I bought, no plans. I build stuff like that all the time. I go buy a bunch of pieces and just start sticking things together until it fits. :lol:

Here's a few pictures of the frame work:

#7 ·
After seeing your original post on this bed I decided to build one for Dixie and Luke. Like Dozer though Dixie does not like being bothered while sleeping, and Luke likes making beds shake when he jumps into them at full speed. So instead I made 2 beds 24" x 36". I also made a minor modification to the under structure to take Luke's impacts, just an H brace.

I did not bother with the glue, it does not have to hold pressure and the pipes are tight enough. I used 2 inch sections of pipe as joints for the t-sections. I also used end caps for the feet with felt stickers on the bottom to protect the floors.

Thanks for the design concept and posting about the modification to the sides for the lower profile of bassets. The dogs love them and so does my family now that they can reclaim some couch space.

#8 ·
Love the pictures!! Dudley is certainly fitting in and growing so fast!! Thje bed is awesome,BTW!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.