Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...we both work during the day...and we have my sister-in-law go over mid-day to let Dallas out...well last night when we got home, he had went potty in his kennel (had a blaket in there, so I removed it today). Erin went over around noon today to let him out, and he had went potty in there again.

I am worried that now he is peeing in his kennel, that he wont stop doing it. The size of the kennel is small, he can't fully stretch out in it...so I know that is not an issue. Is 4-1/2 - 5 hours too much to ask for in a 10 week old puppy? Last night he had me up every 1-1/2 hours to go out...I got like 3 hours of sleep....I would think he should be able to hold it longer than that....am I crazy?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The general rule is 1 hour for every month your dog has been alive.....plus 1 more hour. Woodrow is 4 months old, so he can hold it for 5 hours.
This, of course, is just an estimate, and things can fluctuate between individual dogs. Potty training is so frustruating, becasue no matter what, we can't control when the dog has to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Try gating a small area. Put his bedding in his crate , DOOR OPEN, in one end. Put paper or pee pads in the gated area away from his crate.

This way he won't be forced to soil his bedding, which is against all his instincts. In my opinion, he is too young to hold it that long, and I think you are seeing the result of that.

This worked for us. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
219 Posts
From my experience...4-5 hours is way too long for a 10 week puppy to be able to hold it. Jackie was almost six months old before she could hold it for five hours consistently. I agree with Murray's Mom that if you can't let Dallas out more often then you need to provide a place for him to go. Housebreaking is not a science, every puppy is different and I'm sure you will find your way with Dallas. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
After re-reading this, I have to make two other comments which I hope are helpful:

"had a blaket in there, so I removed it today...
The size of the kennel is small, he can't fully stretch out in it..."

His crate should be a pleasant place for him to stretch out and rest. I would give him back his blanket and get a larger crate.

"Last night he had me up every 1-1/2 hours to go out...I got like 3 hours of sleep....I would think he should be able to hold it longer than that...."

I used to get up fairly often during the night with Murray- he would fuss because he didn't want to soil his bedding and I would get up and take him to his potty place, praise him and bring him back to his crate. This helped with housebreaking because he learned that if he signalled he could go out to potty. As he got older, the number of night-time trips got fewer.

That being said,if his frequency of urination increases, a trip to the vet could be in order- urinary tract infections are not unusual and need to be treated with antibiotics.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not a complete idot when it comes to housebreaking a puppy...as I have had them before, but it was a different situation, we were able to use dog runs outside with a doggy door into the garage to their pens during the day when we were at work...I have never had to crate train a puppy before...so this is all new to me.

As for the crate...he can comfortably lay down/turn around...I just wanted to let you all know that the crate wasnt too big...I figured that would be the first suggestion....was to get a smaller crate.

My sister-in-law is going over twice today (every three hours) to let him out...we will see if this will work better.

He wakes us up at night to go out...he isnt going in his crate then. Its just frustrating that some nights he is up every 1-1/2 hours, then this weekend it was only at 4 am...both nights. I know it just takes time, but this makes it hard to find a routine that works well...

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
He wakes us up at night to go out...he isnt going in his crate then. Its just frustrating that some nights he is up every 1-1/2 hours, then this weekend it was only at 4 am...both nights. I know it just takes time, but this makes it hard to find a routine that works well...
[/b]

Be consistent with feeding, acesses to water, play and napping will make the dogs need for elimination more consistent. also keep the following in mind from Housetraining Your PuppyA 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners. [/url]

There is often a very big difference in how long a puppy can go for at night when he is truely sleeping than during the day where he may just be cooling is heels in the crate bu very much awake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
He is 10 weeks old. You are expecting far to much of him. You should come to terms with the fact that he is not going to be housebroken for some months still. Just be patient and follow the advice you've gotten from the other people on the board. Some bassets are slow on the uptake, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing something wrong..... they just need time that's all.

And get a bigger kennel please. The fact that a dog has a large space when left alone should have no or little impact on house-breaking. If they have to go they have to go.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have you ever been in a traffic jam and had to go to the bathroom real bad? I mean, 3 cups of coffee bad? You didnt want to wet yourself or your car, did you? OK, now hold that thought:

The best idea that I saw was to gate a small area and leave the crate open. Yes, you will have a urine-y smelling area for awhile, but it is more fair to the puppy. One very important thing that was not mentioned is that puppies need to be able to move around and stretch their legs throughout the day, outisde the crate. I can't imagine lying in bed all day and not being able to leave the bed, no matter how large or comfy the bed was, yet, this is routinely asked of dogs. Whenever we had to leave ours in the crate longer than normal, they were not very well behaved when they came out, due to all their pent up energy.
It's great that your relative can come every three hours, and hopefully she can spend some time letting him be a puppy and get out of the crate. I feel for you, because this is the other edge of the sword when you have a big heart and adopt them, then you feel bad because you have to leave them :(
I went through this, and ended up getting Button so Elmer would have company. (Temporary insanity which bred Permanent Insanity) Although ours went to the office with us every day, so we only had to deal with the crate issue when we went somewhere from home. And I agree that you need to buy the largest crate. He'll grow into it. They aren't tall, but they get long!

Good luck--I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice and things will work out. :)

By the way--Sorry to tell you this, but if it's sleep you want, you should have chosen a goldfish, because Button and Elmer are both almost 2 years and they still wake up verrrrrryyy early. :blink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts