Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And step by step instructions too! Brain dead here lately with kids in school, activities, pets, work, etc...you know, life lol. I bought flash a large kong now that he seems to "get" what to do with it. Problem is, mixing dry with wet food (and sometimes a random treat stuck in)-it is too easy for him! Within 10 minutes it is gone.

Now, I know it has been mentioned before to freeze the kong. And I will try that. But I am also looking for your favorite "recipes", if you will. What specifically do you put in the kong. I know some say yogurt-I am assuming plain yogurt. But I need specifics like that (greek or regular, flavored or plain, etc).

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated at this point in time. Thanks in advance folks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When I give Annie yogurt it is usually non-fat vanilla or plain regular yogurt. Be careful with the amount of sugar involved if you use flavored yogurt. But you could also shove peanut butter into the Kong, or applesauce or pureed veggies. Pretty much anything! LOL

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi Flash,

totally agree w/Annie.
ur talking about my favorite subject so i just have to share.
this is the "Worm" cocktail:
bottom & top: lowfat vanilla yogurt (we use Mountain High)
inner layer: applesauce (if it's on the bottom, it's too liquidy & will leak out before it freezes, that's why the yogurt is good)
inner layer: PB, 'cause me LOVES Peanut Butter!!!

me wants a whole Kong made of PB, but my person said 'no,' that would be too much PB for me at once... boo hoo.

then we freeze it overnite. we actually have 2 Kongs & we might get a third. then don't have to make them as often.

let us know what 'cocktails' ya end up trying!
we have also done w/wet food & w/baby food (meat and also just veggies), but somehow it didn't go w/the other ingredients so well for me...

hope ya have fun!
me bets ur 4 year old could help make them too : )
how 'bout adding some gummy bears?
--Worm

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mashed up bananas were always a hit with Molly. I'd freeze it if I planned ahead. Peanut butter-kibble layers were her favorite. I used chuncky pb, as it made her work a bit for those little peanut pieces at the end :)

Now that she is on a "diet," she doesn't get them much. I give her small bits of pb as a treat sometimes. Besides, Winston dominates the kongs and she never gets any...but he'll end up with 2. Boys!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will pick up some yogurt and some applesauce tonight during my grocery shopping :) Flash should be a very happy lil guy tomorrow!

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
keep in mind you can mix solids like cookies piece of kibble cut up meat in with the more fluid part before freezing so you could have peanut butter and milk bones. or peanutbutter and pupperoni/hot dogs etc.

The kong site has recipies by the way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We do wet dog food in the smaller part, pieces of the food that come in rolls mixed with water, and then PB in the largest layer. Keeps them occupied for hours. I've also some cow long bones that I fill with wet food and freeze.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
omg, we have a long bone from our rottie that he had in the yard. I had forgotten about it and flash found it! It was funny seeing him try to move it-but I took it away because it had been outside since last summer and didn't know how "safe" it was for him to have an old bone that belonged to our previous dog. But it was funny to see!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts