Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i am new here and need some advice with my new BH puppy.... her name is Elliemay and we love her but her training is moving very slowly and we dont' know what to do to improve it. she hates the crate and i'm ready to give that idea up. yesterday she went ballistic and tried to chew the bars and got her little teeth stuck in them and it was painful trying to pull her out of there. i'm sure you all know the noise that can come from a basset!!! so now i'm scared to try it again. we can't let her roam the house because she still thinks our house is a toilet! any suggestions? oh already tried the puppy patch as well. she sniffs it and then pees next to it!!!

:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
try getting her on a schedule if she's not already. when i took toby to class the first night they gave me a folder of useful info and one sheet was a schedule. that way you know if she eats at this time, she should be taken outside 15 or so minutes later. my basset is 4 1/2 months and it was hell trying to get him used to the crate. i spent so many nights listening to him cry and i'm pretty sure my neighbors(im in an apt) were pissed off...lol. maybe she would feel more comfortable gated in the kitchen and that way the mess can at least be contained and wont ruin any carpet. i'm taking my puppy to obedience classes and it has helped a lot! plus its so cute to watch them learn and to interact and bond with them while they are learning. i hope this helped a little bit!

·
Registered
186 Posts
oh and don't forget! i've learned the best way to reward a basset is a delicious treat. so give your girl a treat immediately for going potty outside and hopefully she can catch on in a couple months. potty training takes time with these guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, I feel your pain trying to keep the dog from using the house as a toilet.

About the crate training, be patient. First, if she gets her teeth stuck, perhaps try a different kennel.

I have had my basset (4mo old) now for about a month, and the best way, if you ask me, to get them to get comfortable with their kennel, is to let them know it isn't a bad thing. Use it for play, feeding, etc. My basset would bark up a storm for the first few weeks. I have been told to NOT give in to their cry's. If you do, they will keep doing it because they think barking and howling will get them out. Now, after about 4 weeks, when I stick her in there, she will sometimes wimper, but she's not loud anymore. I'd be willing to bet in a couple weeks she wont make a peep. Also, make it a game. Get some small dog treats. Use them to get the dog to run into the kennel. This will help them get used to the kennel. Throw the treat into the kennel, and I am sure they will go right in after it.

Bassets can be very stubborn. Just keep with it. The dog will learn.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lollypop did not cotton to her crate in the beginning either. The first 3 weeks she whimpered for a while at bed time and it was awful not getting up and going to her. You HAVE to ignore it, painful as it may be, otherwise Elliemay WILL get the upper hand and realize she can get what she wants using this behavior. Stick with it, eventually she'll learn to love it. Also NEVER use the crate as punishment, it needs to be a place she feels comfortable in and that is specifically hers. Lollypop often goes to her crate to lie down even when it's not bed time. Also, be patient with the potty training. Lollypop took about 6 weeks + before she truly got the hang of it. Perseverance and patience will be rewarded. Make sure to really praise her and give her treats when she goes outside! Good luck!

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you don't want your Basset to roam all over the house, get a stair gate and put it across the kitchen door (and on the stairs -- as Bassets should not be up and down stairs -- so that she can see out and maybe see you in another room but if she has an accident, if you have a tiled floor it can be cleared up. Bassets have to have very patient owners and if they toilet where you want them to, praise a Basset with a treat as a reward and they soon learn!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts