Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have a wall-mounted door. I'm happy with it. After we moved, our choices were a sliding glass door panel, or put it in the wall. The sliders in this house open from the middle.....would have looked kind of funny.

Some other kind basset person recommended buying two doors (or a 2nd flap) and have an inside flap and an outside flap. That would cut down on drafts.

The plexidoor sounds more sturdy than our vinyl flaps. We can also slide a metal cover over it to keep other critters out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks! I looked at the Plexidoor. Ouch! Almost $300 for one to fit bassets and a boxer. But I will probably have to bite the bullet so I can stop being door slave. Honestly, at night when we are just sitting around, I swear they go in and out 10 times! That, and I could get rid of CRATES if I have it. They don't stay in them except at night, because they tend to "wander & wet" during the night if they have free roam of the house.

:blink:
[/b]
The vinyl flap doors are around $100 for the large dog size. We paid someone to install it, as we're not very handy (especially when you're cutting a hole in a wall). We paid the carpenter $150 in labor, + the $100 for the door....if you've got contractors waiting....I'd go for the plexidoor.

Good luck...and yes, when the dogs can let themselves out, it is lovely.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hope Hub never sees the "sleep with your head out-body in" dog door move. I think your "door-gloo" looks wonderful!

Hub has already perfected the "well, my head's outside, it must be ok to 'go'...eventhough the last half of my body is still inside" trick.

It's only funny until it happens at your house :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts