Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the middle of a sunroom remodeling, and since the door that was installed is a full glass door, the dog door that I ordered from Foster Smith's didn't work. Its only made for a door. I didn't even know there was a difference, but after the contractor explained, I understand.

I have been online looking for one, and it seems there are many kinds of wall mounted dog doors! Does anyone actually have one of these? Can anyone recommend a good one? I would like it to have the "deadbolt" feature so that I can keep them from going out if I don't want and vice versa.

Button says: "What do you mean, Mom, not letting me back in???? :eek:

Anyway, any input or advise would be welcome.

:unsure: :huh: :blink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I looked at the Plexidoor. Ouch! Almost $300 for one to fit bassets and a boxer. But I will probably have to bite the bullet so I can stop being door slave. Honestly, at night when we are just sitting around, I swear they go in and out 10 times! That, and I could get rid of CRATES if I have it. They don't stay in them except at night, because they tend to "wander & wet" during the night if they have free roam of the house.

:blink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok--I couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for a dog door, but I went to Home Depot and bought the RUFF WEATHER X-Large size for $98. It seemed like a pretty good dog door for what we are looking for. It has the plates that you can close it off with, etc. My contractor seemed to think it would install easily.

So I'll keep you posted! Thanks for all of your advise and help! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we got the doggie door installed and so far so good. Captain was the first to "take the plunge" and is making out very well. He loves the freedom it gives him. But of course, he's not a BASSET!!! Button will use it to come in from outside, but we are having trouble getting him to use it as an exit. Elmer the Scaredy Cat is frightened of it and only tonight, at the urging of our daughters boyfriend, came inside on his own without someone holding up the flaps. I'm thinking of removing one of the two flaps (it's a wall mount style) and just using one. I think they'd use it more if there was just one. I don't ever envision them using it to go OUT when it's raining, when it's so much more convenient to just have an accident in the sunroom. Augh!!! <_< :wacko:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.