Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the middle of a sunroom remodeling, and since the door that was installed is a full glass door, the dog door that I ordered from Foster Smith's didn't work. Its only made for a door. I didn't even know there was a difference, but after the contractor explained, I understand.

I have been online looking for one, and it seems there are many kinds of wall mounted dog doors! Does anyone actually have one of these? Can anyone recommend a good one? I would like it to have the "deadbolt" feature so that I can keep them from going out if I don't want and vice versa.

Button says: "What do you mean, Mom, not letting me back in???? :eek:

Anyway, any input or advise would be welcome.

:unsure: :huh: :blink:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
We have a Plexidor dog door that we like. You can turn a key in a lock at the top to immobilize the panels. We find we have to provide a visual cue to the dogs as to when the door is closed, so they don't try to run headlong through it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have a wall-mounted door. I'm happy with it. After we moved, our choices were a sliding glass door panel, or put it in the wall. The sliders in this house open from the middle.....would have looked kind of funny.

Some other kind basset person recommended buying two doors (or a 2nd flap) and have an inside flap and an outside flap. That would cut down on drafts.

The plexidoor sounds more sturdy than our vinyl flaps. We can also slide a metal cover over it to keep other critters out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We have the plexidor also. I like it a lot. For a dog door, it's nice looking, too.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I looked at the Plexidoor. Ouch! Almost $300 for one to fit bassets and a boxer. But I will probably have to bite the bullet so I can stop being door slave. Honestly, at night when we are just sitting around, I swear they go in and out 10 times! That, and I could get rid of CRATES if I have it. They don't stay in them except at night, because they tend to "wander & wet" during the night if they have free roam of the house.

:blink:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks! I looked at the Plexidoor. Ouch! Almost $300 for one to fit bassets and a boxer. But I will probably have to bite the bullet so I can stop being door slave. Honestly, at night when we are just sitting around, I swear they go in and out 10 times! That, and I could get rid of CRATES if I have it. They don't stay in them except at night, because they tend to "wander & wet" during the night if they have free roam of the house.

:blink:
[/b]
The vinyl flap doors are around $100 for the large dog size. We paid someone to install it, as we're not very handy (especially when you're cutting a hole in a wall). We paid the carpenter $150 in labor, + the $100 for the door....if you've got contractors waiting....I'd go for the plexidoor.

Good luck...and yes, when the dogs can let themselves out, it is lovely.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
We are in the middle of a sunroom remodeling, and since the door that was installed is a full glass door, the dog door that I ordered from Foster Smith's didn't work. Its only made for a door. I didn't even know there was a difference, but after the contractor explained, I understand.
[/b]

Any dog door made for a door can be made to work in a wall. It requires 2x4 or 2x6 frame depending on wall construction be installed inside the cut out not that hard to do. If you are handy it is the cheeper way to go. If not added labor for installation quickly eats up any savings. You can also go with two dog door styles and have a dual flap design which should be a more energy efficient.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I mounted a vinyl flap door mount style in the wall, but have modified it a couple of times since. First I had to replace the (chewed up) vinyl flap with a 1/4" hard plastic (cheap cutting board). Then I added a little porch with a second door, because of the cold weather. That's just a temp fix for now, I plan to build a better looking entrance next summer. Maybe more of a dog house look. All I can say is this little addition has helped with the below zero nights, following that blizzard last week. It doesn't look very nice, but until I can build what I want, it will have to do.

Of course I had to add the second door, because Dozer likes to sleep with the door open.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hope Hub never sees the "sleep with your head out-body in" dog door move. I think your "door-gloo" looks wonderful!

Hub has already perfected the "well, my head's outside, it must be ok to 'go'...eventhough the last half of my body is still inside" trick.

It's only funny until it happens at your house :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok--I couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for a dog door, but I went to Home Depot and bought the RUFF WEATHER X-Large size for $98. It seemed like a pretty good dog door for what we are looking for. It has the plates that you can close it off with, etc. My contractor seemed to think it would install easily.

So I'll keep you posted! Thanks for all of your advise and help! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't know you could buy them at Home Depot. That's handy to know. With my House of Puddles population of 12 to 14 seniors at any time, my doggie doors take quite a beating. I just replaced the flaps after 4 years. Eventually, I'll probably replace the whole door and put in a new doggie door.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we got the doggie door installed and so far so good. Captain was the first to "take the plunge" and is making out very well. He loves the freedom it gives him. But of course, he's not a BASSET!!! Button will use it to come in from outside, but we are having trouble getting him to use it as an exit. Elmer the Scaredy Cat is frightened of it and only tonight, at the urging of our daughters boyfriend, came inside on his own without someone holding up the flaps. I'm thinking of removing one of the two flaps (it's a wall mount style) and just using one. I think they'd use it more if there was just one. I don't ever envision them using it to go OUT when it's raining, when it's so much more convenient to just have an accident in the sunroom. Augh!!! <_< :wacko:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts