Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I have two basset's, one is Peanut (3 1/2) and the other is Butter (5 mos). The one I have a question about is Peanut. She vomits at random times, not directly related with eating or drinking. She's crate trained and sleeps in her crate at night. We'll be awakened to her barking, continually until we let her outside. When we let her outside, she immediately starts eating grass like she's starving. Then she pukes. If it's not at night and she doesn't get outside in time, she starts licking anything and everything off the floors, her crate, dust bunnies in the corner, etc., or starts eating the artificial grass from my artificial tree plants or starts chewing on the carpet fibers, trying anything to vomit. This condition has been going on for a while (about 2 years) and she's had tests at vet's and nothing seems to show up. She had this problem before we got our other basset. She doesn't get "people" food as a vet at one time thought this was what was causing it. Obviously not, but we never went back to feeding her people food. The same vet thought it could have been caused by rawhide so we don't give her that either. This isn't every day or every week for that matter. She could go a couple of weeks without this happening and then it could happen every day for a while, or intermittently. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? If anyone can offer any advice to us, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
when she vomit is she bring up food or just yellow bile and any grass etc she has eaten. IF it is just bile then the problem is an empty stomac I had a couple beagles like this you need to feed more frequent smaller meals or add a between meal snack.

If she is vomiting food I would look at a possible food intollerance allergy, try feed a hyoallergenic food that are no on the market and see if it clears up as a sensitive stomach food may help as well

dogs then to vomit much easier than human and some dogs will do it a t a drop of a hat. the good thing is at least they ae non the worse for wear after it

·
Registered
1 Posts
My basset is doing the exact same thing and I can no longer afford the vet bills. What do I try next? DZV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts