Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful boy Coltrane, who is just a year old has always been pretty easy to train. I never had any problems potty training him. He loves his crate and sleeps in there at night. The problem i have with him is that whenever i leave the house he whines and barks. I had a similar problem with him before where he would bark like crazy when i put him in the crate and took a shower. well i solved that with a tip i found on the net. I put him in his crate, went to the shower and when he started his commotion, i went and through a cup of water in his face and walked away. I only had to do this one time and from then on, he has never made a sound while i am in the shower. I have tried similar tatics to get him to be quiet when i leave, but so far, to no avail. All i get is a wet dog. I put him in his crate and go outside and sit by the door, wait for him to start and go in and through the water in his face saying "quiet". Then go out again, same thing. It doesn't seem to be working. I did get him to stay quiet for about 10 minutes earlier today to which he was praised and i gave him a treat instead of water in the face. Any other ideas? I can't have him barking like crazy every time i leave. In my old house, it wasn't a problem, but in my new place, the neighbors will go crazy. He has to be quiet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You might try a citronella bark collar. There are also bark collars that shock the dog when it barks, but I would try the citronella bark collar first since it's much easier on the dog. Just type in "citronella bark collar" in your search engine, and you should be able to find one to order.
I copied this off the internet:
Citronella Bark Collars
Premier Citronella Bark Collars
When your dog barks,the Citronella Bark Collar sprays a light mist of citronella scent in front of his nose. Dogs don't like this.The Citronella Bark Collar emits a hissing noise that startles them and dogs seem to dislike the smell. Most dogs figure things out very quickly and stop barking when using the Citronella Bark Collar. University studies have shown that Citronella Bark collars are twice as effective as shock bark collars.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah the water in the face won't work. Plus he doesn't understand why you are doing something like that to him. To a dog ANY response from you brought on by barking is good, positive or negative. Each time you come into the room and give him any feedback, he will look at it as success. Kind of like barking at the UPS man or mailman. He barks--they leave. He doesn't know they would leave anyway, he relates it to his barking. (In our case, anyway)

We got a lemon spray collar from Dr. Foster and Smith catalog and it worked well for our boxer. We also used it when Button went thru a stage of barking at the boxer whenever he wanted to get up on the couch with us.

I would stay far away from the static "shock" collars. No one really knows the long term effects on the neurological system.

Good luck and it sounds like he really loves you and doesn't want you to leave him.

Heres the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...collar&Np=1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, no way i am shocking him in any way. i am going to have to look into the citronella or lemon spray collars though. i even feel bad for that, but i can't just stay in the house constantly.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/board...tronella+collar

The above is a link to other threads where this was discusssed-(I did a search under "citronella collar").

Mikey T's responses are worth looking at, he always seems to have good advice- most of the advice seems to support what everyone has already said in this thread: the Citronella collar is much more effective than other methods- there is also some discussion about separtaion anxiety -

Hope this helps-

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Mikey T's responses are worth looking at, he always seems to have good advice- most of the advice seems to support what everyone has already said in this thread: the Citronella collar is much more effective than other methods- there is also some discussion about separtaion anxiety -

Hope this helps-[/b]
I doubt the collar will work because it is more likely seperation anxiety there are a myriad of possible solutions but most involve behaviormodification w/ or without medication

Separation Anxiety

Home Alone
"However, dogs that do exhibit separation anxiety behaviors -- excessive barking, household destruction, and inappropriate elimination -- are not acting out of spite or anger. They are simply distressed by separation from "their people." Most dogs live to please -- an important fact to remember as you try to help your dog overcome separation anxiety.

...Separation anxiety most often occurs in dogs that become very attached to their owners. While genetics may play a role, most experts believe certain early experiences lead dogs to form intense bonds with people and therefore become vulnerable to separation anxiety.

...Successful treatment requires patience, consistency, and praise. "Praise is an important part of treatment, because dogs inherently want to please," says Dr. Dodman. "Positive reinforcement gives your dog the confidence to tolerate longer periods alone. Conversely, punishing a dog for separation anxiety behaviors that occurred earlier makes the dog more anxious because it doesn't connect the punishment with the undesirable behavior."

Rather than reversing the specific "bad" behaviors, treatment for separation anxiety focuses on reducing the dog's panic level just before and after the owner's departure. Because dog behavior is relatively complex, treatment usually entails a combination of methods: behavior-modifying desensitization (gradually increasing the dog's exposure to situations that produce anxiety) and counter-conditioning (training the dog to expect pleasure, not panic, when left alone). In difficult cases, anti-anxiety medications, "pharmacological shoehorns" as Dr. Dodman calls them, may facilitate behavioral treatment. "

While not reccommended some have found another companion for the dog eliminates the problem the problem is often instead of just one dog displaying the unwanted behavior now you have two and they can feed off of each other making things worse not better.

pet sitters, dog walkers, doggie day care are all way to minimize the time the dog is left alone. Giving the dog something to do while you are gone can also help. I know of one person that will scatter the dogs breakfeast over the yard so it must spen a time hunting for it, a bustercube.com or stuffed kong can help.

The degree of anxiety varies, the treatment is generally faster and more effective the sooner it is implementent as with many behaviors this anxiety is typically self rewarding because 1 the owner eventually aways comes back and rarely anything bad occurs when the dog is in midst of it

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I would try using treat filled toys such as a kong filled with dog cookies and peanut butter. You can also put your dog's meals in there as well. Kong makes a toy called Kong Time which automatically dispenses Kongs throughout the day for your dog.
I agree with Mikey T that the citonella collars would not work for this problem as it sounds like your dog has separation anxiety problems.
A good book to read is by Dr. Nicholas Dodman called The Dog Who Loved Too Much. He has a section in his book that specifically addresses this problem in dogs and offers solutions.
You might also want to check with your vet about the problem. They might know of a good trainer who could help you.
Please let us know how your dog is doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts