Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

My baby has overgrow her small crate and I am looking forward to buy her a new adult sized crate:

I have two options:

a XL crate 32" X 21" x 21" (holds up to 50 lbs)

or a XXL crate 36" x 25" x 25" (holds up to 70 lbs)

I am a little confuse in which one will be the appropiate crate size for Samantha, she is 4 months old, 27" long and 28 pounds and I am looking forward for this crate to be her lifetime crate

Can you help me make a decision?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi, an adult basset can weight as much as 80 lbs.

I never crate my bassets before, so I'm not sure what size to recommend. But if I were you, I would definately choose the one with a big enough room for him/her to turn around, stretch and get comfy in it.

M

·
0 Posts
The crate I'm using for both Rusty & Stickers was my German Shepherd's crate. It is still in good shape and I remember paying alot of $$ for it. It holds both of them comfortably. The can both lay down on their sides completely. I know they say your dog should be able to turn around completely in their crate. If they can't, it's too small. The one my kids have is " 48 long, 30 wide & 35 height. You can usually look on line at the dog crates and they will recommend sizes for different breeds. I would suggest you go on the larger size.

M

·
0 Posts
I forgot to add it is from Midwest Crates. The crate is 11 years old and still in great shape!! My Sheperd used it for years. The one I have is no longer available. But their products definitely hold up over the years!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest has a huge crate for sleeping in. Its a cordura type of crate that folds down.

It looks like this:

Crate for long bassets

When he was smaller we filled the back of it with wine boxes to make him more secure. The boy needs his space now (30 lbs and 900 feet long), so he uses the whole thing.

Its really light and we love it.

He also has a wire crate for the car, I bought him a large because the xl didn't fit in my wagon (old volvo fur mobile). He'll be out of it soon enough and we'll have to just get a dog gate for the back.

We went with the 36" long one

good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS

Thank you for your help; most people had recomend me to get the 36" one (even the breeder) and after reading this, that will be the one i will get.....I liked the idea of filling the space with boxes..

I am buying a soft crate, the one that folds, it kind of looks like the one lala told me about

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
:lol: :lol: Steinar, when I saw your name in this posting, I knew you would post this photo!!! What a great moment!!! :lol:
I love this photo soooo much. The funniest photo ever! You should consider submitting this photo for a contest or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT IS TOO FUNNY

WOW, that did crack me up, thanks for sharing :D

doggielover

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Yes, that was a golden opportunity :lol:

As a matter of fact, it's one of the few pics I've ever posted not