Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a breeder in my area, and I'm excited since they seem like fantastic breeders. I won't say their name since I'm not sure I'm allowed. I emailed them in December, and this morning I got an email that they have two show quality male pups available. They are asking $1800 on a show contract. Both puppies look beautiful, but I don't know much about Basset Conformation and would love a second opinion on which one. This will be my second show dog, but first AKC dog. I know the rules are totally different than what I'm used to, but the breeder has offered to help me out. The pups are 4 1/2 months old, and these pictures I think are pretty recent.

What do you think? Also, any advice? Is that too much for a show pup? If you want the kennel name, you can pm me and I'll send you the link.

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know which one I would pick if it were me. I'd go with the one on top. Like his bone (I'm partial to a heavier boned basset... something I'd like to improve on in my girl). He's got a nice topline on him and a well angulated rear. The second one is ok but to me looks more feminine and it's obviously a boy. Not that's he's bad he's a decent dog as well. I'd say $1800 is fair for a show prospect. I have a guess at who's dogs they are want to PM me with the kennel name. If it's the one I think... well I'll tell you their mom is a pretty awesome dog.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'd go with the one below, but that is by appearance and the much nicer colour, otherwise I can't see much difference in their shape! ;)

The Basset below looks more in proportion than the top one! The top one's head and neck looks too small for his body!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok yeah I do know that puppy and now I'd definately go with the one on top. The bottom one must be frem a different breeder or a different breeding cause it's not one I recognize. I know the mother of the one on top and she is an outstanding basset with lots of type and a great personality. You can't go wrong with that one. If it were me and I were looking for a show prospect that would be the one I'd pick... however I like a bit more bone and type. The bottom has less ribbing on him, actually the necks are very similar it's just that she's not pulling the chin up on the second. It's really all a preference thing though. What you need to do is picture in your mind the perfect basset... what traits does that basset have and what traits do you think you can't do without, which can you live with a little less? Then look at the puppies and see which one most closely fits that picture in your head or could be bred to another who might then produce that perfect dog you picture (or at least closer to it). At least that's how I see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! Actually, the puppies are littermates and from the same sire. The more I look at them and look at the standard, I think I prefer the top one as well. It's the coloring I prefer on the bottom one. I just keep forgetting that color does not matter in bassets. In great Danes it's a big deal...

The top looks much more like Beaumont stacked, and I agree that I also like the heavier dogs.
I'm used to APBTs where you don't want stockiness, so I was a bit concerned that it would be a fault.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Only my opinion but the top one looks like he could be a bit out at the albow where as the bottom puppy seems to have his albows glued to his sides and I like his shoulders better. It is vey hard to tell much with photos but I picked my show girl out of photos at 8 weeks of age. You must also remind yourself that puppies can change anywhere up to a year or so of age.A foot could turn,rears can get weird etc. You also can't tell a personality by photos so look for a very out going puppy, attitude can make up for quite a few little faults. Good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks! Actually, the puppies are littermates and from the same sire. The more I look at them and look at the standard, I think I prefer the top one as well. It's the coloring I prefer on the bottom one. I just keep forgetting that color does not matter in bassets. In great Danes it's a big deal...

The top looks much more like Beaumont stacked, and I agree that I also like the heavier dogs.
I'm used to APBTs where you don't want stockiness, so I was a bit concerned that it would be a fault.
Hmm... they may both be out of Mojo but the second is not out of the same dam. Both are nice though... don't think you could go wrong with either. Just personal preference I think. Like I said I prefer the heavier boned versus the leaner lankier type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts