Basset Hounds Forum banner

Need Help/Advice

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  smitte21 
#1 ·
Hi, I am a new owner of a basset hound. I have Blitz since may 2010 and he has been nothing but a very good puppy. I have also a beagle and they play a lot and everything seemed fine until today.

He always has lots of energy likes to run around in the house or outside in the garden. He likes to relax too but if one of my kitties come out he chases after them. I have a tile floor and put up a baby gate so my cats have a save area!

I crate trained him because thats the only way I knew how since my beagle was my first puppy and it worked out ok with her even that it took me 1 year to get her house trained "talking about dealing with a stubborn dog:)"

Anyhow he has been real good telling me when he has to go potty and we had no accidents since a month now, well until today, lol!

But thats not the issue I am having, he wanted outside made it to the door but than peed and laid right into it, it looked funny at first but something was off. So I washed him real quick and took him outside. He wouldn`t even stand up.....I kept an eye on him since I wasn`t sure if he is mad at me or if something was wrong. He wouldn`t come to me when I called him or even look at me:(

I got the treat box out and shook it and there he comes but his right back leg was limping but not really like his was favoring his left more it was really hard to see since he sat down right away. He won`t play nor will he get up from the carpet that we got so he has a little traction to walk on but he only gets up to eat now and favors his left leg more. I don`t know if he hurt himself. He doesn`t jump on things since I am always around, and we have no stairs.He gets on the couch with my help and I put him down when he needs to. I am not sure what to do. Nothing is swollen, he doesn`t cry and he eats and drinks, but he doesn`t play or is in any way active. I wanted to go to the vet on monday but is there anything else I can do to see what is wrong since I can`t see an injury or discomfort besides when he walks?

He weighs now 34 pounds and seems not overweight. I can feel his ribs when I cuddle with him. He gets vitamin supplements and he gets dry puppy chow.I am just a little worried because I had no problems with my beagle in any kind of way!

See less See more
#2 ·
When was your last vaccination for Blitz? This happened to Fergus about a week after one of his distemper vaccines (probably about the same age as your pup when it happened). The vet couldn't really tell me what was wrong, but thought it was a vaccine reaction (later I did realize that he'd thrown up the same day as the vaccine, but since cats throw up all the time, I didn't really think anything of it). Now they give him benedryll to help him cope with the vaccine and space each vaccine out. I'm not sure if that's what is going on with Blitz, but it sounds just like what happened with Fergus. Definitely take him into the vet, but I hope he feels better, asap.

#3 ·
When a male basset puppy around 6 months of age first start limping On of the First suspects is Panosteitis in Young Dogs many vets do not know that is highly prevelent in bassets and often miss diagnose it. Basset hound FAQ
Paneosteitis is an elusive ailment occasionally seen in young Bassets. It is also known as wandering or transient lameness. Attacks are usually brought on by stress and aggravated by activity, and up to now, the cause and the cure are unknown. This mysterious disease causes sudden lameness, but its greatest potential danger may lie in false diagnosis, resulting in unnecessary surgery. A puppy will typically outgrow it by the age of two with no long term problems. It can be quite minor, or so bad that the dog will not put any weight on the leg. Symptoms may be confused with "elbow displasia", "hip displasia", "patellar luxation" and other more serious disorders. The most definite way to diagnose paneosteitis is radiographically. Even with this, signs can be quite minimal and easily missed. As to treatment, no cure was found in experimental tests and the only helpful thing found was relief for pain (aspirin, cortisone, etc.) However, using these, the dog tends to exercise more and thereby aggravate the condition. Note again: A GREAT MANY VETS ARE UNAWARE OF THIS DISEASE IN THE BASSET.
However Pano general starts with a fore limb not a hind end. It can general be diagnosed by squeezing the middle (not by the joints) of the long bone in the limb the dog is limping and comparing that to squeezing the long bones in unaffected leg. There will general be a particular bone that is painful when squeezed with pano.

other posibilities some that incorporate the urination and other that don't

Intervertebral Disc Disease in Dogs All dwarf breeds are genetical susceptable to greater incident of back problems because of the nature of the disc see Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease This explain both lying in urine and the limping this is a potential very serious problem that could easily be reaggrivated with devistating results.

Luxating Patella
Again another condition basset a genetically predisposed of.

Any number of sprain/strains.tears which can very tremedously in seriousness an outcomes.

The best course of action until a vet can see him is stricked crate rest only going out to potty and then with as much support as possible for the hind end, Ie towel sling etc. It is likely such a proticol is a bit overboard but it is the one to cause the least harm until a definative diagnoses is made.

#4 ·
Hi,

My Basil was like this after the first 3 days that i had him. He was around 9months old then, and on the 3rd day he would limp on one of his back legs and lacked enthusiasm for things, preferring to lie around. Being a Basset of course he would get up and greet visitors!

During the next 9 days he had been to vet who theorised luxating patella and wanted to do x-rays and i also found out about pano but before i decided on any actions he seemed ok once more and ever since (in this period it moved between the rear legs).

At the time i was still thinking the vet was right and likely would need to be operated on etc but as time went on and no subsequent signs of problems i put it down to perhaps i had been over walking him as he was young and his previous owners seemed to not take him for walks the best i could tell. When i mentioned the limbs to the guy he impled that whenever it happened they would give Basil antibiotics (i suspect ne meant anti inflammatories) which made me think it had happened with a frequency and the fact it only happened with me the once lends me to think it was most likely a strain on underdeveloped but growing legs.

For info Basil is now 2 years 5 months and enjoys running and playing hard with other big dogs and seems fine.

Nat

#5 ·
thanks for all the replies! Blitz was last vaccinated a while ago and he was spayed with 4 months! I got him when he was 10 weeks old and I wasn`t sure if the breeder really dewormed and vaccinated him since I found out that most papers i`ve gotten are fake nor did the vet exist, so we started from scratch with deworming and all vaccinations. We were ignorant since my beagle came with AKC papers etc. we assumed everything was ok! Anyways, we were lucky so far and he had no parasites or any other problems besides his front legs had an O-form which gotten better with the supplements he is getting. I will take him to the vet on monday since it doesn`t make me comfortable. I wished dogs could talk :).
He is keeping himself calm only moving when he has to pee or poop, so I am hoping that it will be ok until monday if not I will be going to the ER with him!!

#6 ·
A little update! After this weekend I was ready to call the vet since the limping never really stopped! I was supposed to have an appointement tomorrow but the limping is gone. Should i still go to the vet or should i wait if it occurs again??

He took more naps this weekend than usual and didn`t want to play with my beagle but this morning it seemed like he saved up all that energy to go play and chase the cats:)! He is his normal self again, trying to get up on the couch and play, play,play....hehe!

So what u guys think should I still go to the vet??

#7 ·
hello, I have a 2 year old basset when she was 6 months old the same thing happened to her, took her to the vet he x-rayed her leg and found nothing wrong figured she has strained her leg, at 6 months the legs are not fully developed, so we started massaging her leg several times a day, she is now fine, she hurt her leg by playing with our beagle/basset mix both are now fine and love them both..with basset pups our vet told us with bincs to keep her calm on a leash and no jumping or stairs till the leg had time to complete growth...hope this helps..

#8 ·
I would guess it may likely be Pano... can happen in any of legs although it is typically a front leg. Our boy Beau when he was young had it in all 4 of his legs intermittently but was fine after some rest for a couple of days. I would just watch the amount of play time and limit the strenuous sessions till he's a bit older. Just keep an eye on him... some lines are more prone to pano than others and switching him to adult formula food will also help slow his growth a bit so the bones can catch up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.