Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't write very often, but read almost every day. Charlie is my 18month old baby (4legged). He has been vomiting since early Sunday AM he started with diarrhea on Tuesday AM. He spent the day on Monday with the vet who did some x-rays looking for a blockage--didn't see anything with regular x-rays, so we brought him home on Monday evening. He added diarrhea to the vomiting on Tuesday AM and I carried him back to the vets. He said he would do barium enema and GI series to really check things out--Well, he saw something, but he was not sure what was in the x-ray because it was at the point where the stomach and the intestines join and he wanted to do surgery to make sure that we didn't have a blockage. Good news/bad news--good news was there wasn't a blockage and the bad news is that he is not sure what is wrong with Charlie--He stayed with him last night at the clinic. When I called several times today to see about Charlie he said he is still on an IV and antibiotic and nausea medicine and has not had any vomiting or diarrhea today. He has kept him in the cage in the main center station all day and said he had 3 other vets there also today and they were all watching Charlie and he was not being left alone even for a minute. At 5:00 pm today he said they all feel like it is "Gastroenteritis" and that he will be in the hospital until at least Monday. Please send healing drool for my poor baby who I know is scared and in pain and sick and wants his Mama.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am so very sorry for the both of you. I know you must be so sorry to be seperated at a time like this. Hope everything turns out fine you will be in our prayers.Lots of drool from Copper, Patty and Dolly.

Karen

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Poor little one! I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Sami had to stay at the vets a few days last year when she was really sick. I visited every day (our vet encouraged it)- but broke my heart when she sat in my lap and cried.... they just can't understand :cry:

Sami has gastroeneteritis right now too- She has Clostridium with some bloody stools and vomiting- She is actually feeling pretty frisky for being so sick. I hope they figure out what is wrong soon and that he is feeling better in no time. Sending positive thoughts-drool- and prayers- Wendy

Mom to Sami, Jake, Abby & Indy

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. I know how hard it is to have a pet in the hospital and the vets not know what's wrong. I'm still dealing with that. Duncan sends his favorite bone.

B

·
0 Posts
I know what U R going thru. Tummy sending drool. I have never been home without Tummy. That has to B gut wrenching. Hugs. :( .

S

·
0 Posts
Healing drool from Indiana. Hope they get to the bottom of this soon. Sounds like Charlie is in capable hands. Hang in there and give lots of extra hugs and kisses to Charley from us.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie sends lots of healing drool to Charlie, and Sami, too!

We had a round of something similiar with Bubba once, and the vet thought it might have come from an old gross bone he dug up at a campground that we discovered in his mouth. He became very ill about 36 hours later. He was put on antibiotics and cleared up in a few days.
Do keep us updated on the sick hounds.

Aroooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry to hear Charlie is sick, it's so hard to have our fur-babies in the hospital! Lots of hugs and healing drool from Daisy Jayne and Me!

J

·
0 Posts
So sorry to hear about Charlie. I know how stressful it can be when they're sick and you don't know how to help them. Hopefully the vet has found something by now, and you'll be reporting back with good new soon!

·
Registered
48 Posts
we hope your charlie gets better soon, and know its got to be hard on you to be seperated and not be right there with him. Hope he is home feeling like his old self soon.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis had a pretty bad gastroenteritis last month, it may be something being passed around the canine kingdom. He was on Flagyl for 10 days and he seems to finally be better but it was rough one for us. It's so miserable when our little guys feel unwell, how do you explain to them that all the hospitalization is actually GOOD? You can't, all you can do is feel so sad for them.
We send lots of best wishes and let us know what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts