Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Smili and Bessi 2 crates. 37" Ultima Pro from Midwest. I installed the divider, which is unlike any divider that I have ever seen before. Most dividers are one piece. This divider folds in the middle (I think to make it easier to install). It attaches like most dividers, from side to side. There is a small top latch to attach it to the top of the crate. The issue is that there is a 1"-2" gap at the bottom. I did not think much of it and crate training has been going EXCELLENT! Only 2 accidents in the 3 days that they have been in there (However, we have frequent accidents durring the basset 500 in the kitchen...oh well).

The problem is Smili got her paw caught under the divider panel and started yelping much louder than when she is rough housing with her sissy. I ran over to the crate to help her and she was able to get it out by herself. I picked her up and started the paniced daddy routine of huggs & kisses and rubbing her paw. She is ok and is not having any difficulty walking. It scared the poopy out of me.

I called Midwest and they said that they have not heard of any complaints with this divider....although they do not have a lot of experience with it as it is only available with this model.

I took the dividers out of both crates and now they seem much happeir and lay flat basset....But as one would guess, Smili piddled on the end of the crate that she does not lay on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Try using boxes. You can stack them in the crate and then just remove and rearrange them as they grow. Good luck and I hope you have continued success! I'm glad Smili's paw didn't get hurt really bad. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try using boxes. You can stack them in the crate and then just remove and rearrange them as they grow. Good luck and I hope you have continued success! I'm glad Smili's paw didn't get hurt really bad. Keep up the good work!

I thought about that, but they would eat the boxes.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
She may not continue to go there try letting them have a few days like this ,if it doesn't subside then block off the end again.Using what I'm not sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can you slide divider down and clip it at the bottom? Did you measure the divider? maybe they put wrong size in your crate? Maybe a plastic tub instead of a box? you could use it later to hold their supplies, brushes, leash, extra toys. I rotate Simone's toys, she's just like a kid, always likes new toy best :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Use plastic boxes instead of carboard for the eating shreading. The other option os measure the width of the crate and get two pieces of plexiglass or lexan from a home center The will often cut it to size. you can drill a few holes in it ti use cable ties to hold it in place next to the wire divider you have intstalled now to block the gap.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
(However, we have frequent accidents durring the basset 500 in the kitchen...oh well).
which goes back to the activity makes urine you need to get them outside more frequently when they are active or when the 500 begins take them outside to continue until the run themselves out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts