Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had any trouble with nipping and biting? I know Roxy does not mean to hurt me, but she does, even broke my skin a few times. And it seems to be getting worse.
We are starting a puppy class soon but I am open to any advise from experience basset owners please.

Some one told me to try a spray bottle, has any one here tried this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links. I have been doing lots & lots of reading online about this issue.

But I was really hoping to hear of someone else that has had this experience and how they handled it. So many web site give different advise I was wondering what worked and what didn't for other Basset owners. I do know that no two Bassets are going to be the same, but it would help to know I am not alone with this issue. Or this really a rare problem with Bassets???

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but this behavior is very typical puppy behavior and is not breed-specific. However, there is lots of good advice on training in the link Betsy provided, and you may want to try that.

It's been a long time since I brought a very small puppy home, and it's partly due to things like tiny bladders and sharp little teeth attached to adorable, but completely clueless, babies :wink: !

You will need patience - lots of patience - but eventually this, too, shall pass.....

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
All puppies chew and play-bite (nip), which is why links are provided in the Frequently Asked Questions section. Different approaches work for different dogs and at different times for the same dog. I generally use a combination of redirection and bite inhibition training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts