Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we went to our orientation for Baxter's puppy school two weeks ago, they mentioned that this will be an 8 week course and at the puppy's graduation he will be expected to do a "trick" in front of everyone! When my Lab went when she was a puppy she retreived very well and played ball. With a Basset, what trick do they do well? I'm trying to figure out what he might excell in other than drool and the Basset 500!! If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. By the way, the Lab I refer to (Sarah Lee) will be 15 years old on Sunday and we're taking her for an ice cream cone!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
You'll blow the field away if you can get him to howl.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, he just discovered that he can bark! Now he will bark only when our neighbor comes out and the neighbor promptly shouts "Hi Baxter!!" over the bushes. He has an extremely deep bark for a 10 month old! I think he surprised himeslf. I haven't heard a howl yet.

L

·
0 Posts
trick!! How about putting some food on a low puppy reachable. Announce his trick is counter cruising . :unsure: Tummy Boy

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Does he like belly rubs? You can do the old "pretend to shoot the dog and he plays dead" trick. Just whenever he gets in belly rub position, point at him and say bang. Stomps loves the belly rub, so even though he's 10 or 12, I think I'll see if I can teach him that this weekend. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
316 Posts
hehe. A lab and a basset. These two dogs could not be further apart in the grand scheme of canine obedience. It will be great!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Actually, he just discovered that he can bark! Now he will bark only when our neighbor comes out and the neighbor promptly shouts "Hi Baxter!!" over the bushes. He has an extremely deep bark for a 10 month old! I think he surprised himeslf. I haven't heard a howl yet.[/b]
Sounds good, you need to teach him.

I know it sounds silly...but get in front of him and howl.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jackie's trick is roll over...I get her on her belly by saying "belly" and then I put a deliciously smelling treat behind her ear and she rolls over everytime...now all I have to do is say "over" and she flops over, very cute! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe well try the roll over. Baxter went to his first class on Saturday and did pretty well. He's very shy and kind of scared of strangers, but I think going to class will help. He's certainly not shy at home!! We're practicing with him at home now - walking on a lead, sitting and staying, and waiting at the entrance to rooms, outside, etc. I think he'll do ok. The problem is that we will be on vacation next week, so he won't be able to practice. He'll be with the others at the Bed and Biscuit. I think if he does well by the end of the course, we'll go further with him and try to get him his good citizendhip award. Thanks for all your suggestions! What we really don't want is for Baxter to start howling!! We have two other dogs - Lab mixes, that are barkers. He isn't one to bark all the time and we like it like that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts