Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bassets have a pretty good sized hole that they have dug in the backyard. It is up against the house in a mulched flower bed, behind a huge potted plant. Well guess what.... a random cat that lives on my street (not sure exactly where, but I see her often) came over this morning and had her kittens in that hole!!!!! So now I have 5 tiny kittens plus 1 kitten that didnt survive and a protective nursing momma cat in the hole. I am soo thankful that I discovered them before the dogs found them.

What do I do???

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just not a part of a kitty forum. I have no idea how to handle them but I will need to move them for sure or have someone move them...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would call a local no kill pet shelter in your area such as the Humane Society of Tampa 813-876-7138 and ask their advice.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yikes...this is almost exactly how I came to have my own cat LOL.

If you just can't deal with them, do as Bessiethebassetsdad says and call the humane society and hopefully they will come out and retrieve the bunch.

If you are ok with them being there, mom will nurse and do her momma cat thing until she isn't needed anymore and then move on, hopefully the kittens will move on as well. If this cat lives on your street, maybe someone owns her and is hopefully looking for her now.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh my gosh CatherineM!!! What did you do with the trench? Did you fill it back in or is it still there? That's a crazy digger you've got!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
He sure made mowing the lawn interesting. He'd get under the house where I couldn't refill the holes. That's the same basset that trapped a skunk under the house for several hours. Never a dull moment.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’ve never had a cat give birth in my yard – but… We do have some pretty dump rabbits that give birth in my yard. With two rabbit hunting dogs yet. The first time she did I was washing dishes and noticed Lucy running after something in the yard and she wasn’t barking at it. That was enough to know if she’s not barking – she has something in her mouth. Yep, a baby rabbit. We blocked off the rest so she couldn’t get to them until momma could get them out of the yard – but Lucy keep getting to them. She didn’t kill any – over a two week period she would bring me one at a time and place it at my feet – then look at me with the “ok, where is my cheese” for bring you dinner look. Dumb rabbit.

Jen~

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We had our sewer line replaced last fall. Catherine, your pup rivals the job the backhoe did. Ever think of hiring that dog out?? :)
That picture is circa 1991. His nickname was the Houdini Dog. He lived to a ripe old age, the last few of which he slept alot. He would go to sleep on my youngest's baseball bag so that we couldn't leave to go to the ballpark without him knowing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
OMG that is too funny.....I hope you find a shelter for mama and babies....luckily woody doesn't dig, yet......he did nose up some bees from somewhere yesterday and got pretty stung....I heard him give a funny bark..went to get him in and they wouldn't let him in the house...he was favoring his left paw rolled off the steps and was rolling around in the grass like a mad dog....I am deathly allerigic to bees but we managed to get him in and I got some benedryl in him and kept him closely watched....I called him lumpy all night but he seemed fine and was back to normal today....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sammie digs craters to! Right in the flower bed behind the roses. I was trying to fill it in but she digs in the same spot so I've left it. Every once in a while I catch her sleeping in it. She's a strange one. She doesn't reck the flowers in my yard just sleeps around them..... She favorite sleeping around a raspberry bush hahaha
She went to my moms Friday morning and dug up her roses. Lol she's never done that here.

About the kitties..... Put adds up at the closets gas station. Or call the city and ask. If you wait to long they might say there yours. We had something similar happen to us. We called the city and because they were in out yard or a few days the town said it was our problem. Basically we kept them so we deal with it. If you no u can't keep them I'd say find them a home ASAP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts