Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So my sweet Princess Buttercup is headed to the vet tomorrow to check these lumps on each side of her neck. She's had them for a while & they seem to range between the size of a pea up to a large marble. However, this time they haven't returned to pea sized. There is one on each side so, originally I thought they were lymph nodes but they seem more like subcutaneous masses. So has anyone else dealt with anything similar? What questions should I pose to the vet tomorrow? I'm expecting them to biopsy them but part of me would just like them gone to ease my mind. She's up for a teeth cleaning so now might be the time to have them removed. Thanks in advance for your help. PB would say thank you too but she's still sleeping off our weekend camping trip. ;)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi Princess B,

Coincidence-- i'm going to the vet on Friday too for a lump near my armpit. my person says it's weird because her last doggie had one too in the same place! actually, nothing had to be done-- the vet recognized it as a lipoma (like a benign fatty tumor), and nothing had to be done, not even a biopsy... here's hoping for you and me...!

howdy'a like campin'?

--Worm

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Worm I loved camping! You can see my brand new sleeping bag in my photo. I slept inside it covered up all night! The two leggers liked leashing me up & unzipping the tent in the AM without getting outta their sleeping bags too! I still smell a little like a campfire & keep hoping it just makes everybody want a s'more instead of reminding them I might need a bath soon. Paws crossed!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
lulu had those fatty cysts all her life. usually nothing to worry about. they can drain em. the ones they worried about can be removed relatively easily. once they get the capsule out, they're pretty much gone. always good to have em checked out tho

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning is covered in fatty lumps now. He has two on his chest that I call his breasts, they're so big. But at his age I can't put him through the surgery to get rid of some of them. And which ones? He's got so many! It seems like every day I find another one. But they're all benign, and IMO he's still the best looking dog ever.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
the vet recognized it as a lipoma (like a benign fatty tumor), and nothing had to be done, not even a biopsy
It is always a potentially dangerious assumption, having loss a basset to mast cell cancer that was intially misdiagnosed i know first hand how dangerious.

Canine Mast Cell Tumors
Sometimes mast cell tumors are referred to as "the great imposters," as there is no way to definitively identify them without a biopsy and pathology report. Mast cell tumors vary widely in their size, shape, appearance, texture, and location. It can be difficult not only to recognize mast cell tumors but to predict their course.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
they seem to range between the size of a pea up to a large marble.
This characteristic is usual a cyst that is commonly called a sebacious cyst but that is actual a chacateriszation of the actual problem actual sebacious cysts are rare the cysts that is mischaracterized this way Epidermal inclusion cysts (infundibular cysts) /Folicular cysts . They contain thich gooey material Sometimes when a needle asperation is done the vet will such all the material out but it usually reapears. Thes cyst occasional rupture when this hahppen it is often best to have them removed because even though they ruptured they often reform once the skin heel to rupture over again and again etc. The material inside the cyst is irratating the skin so it can slow the healing process and is also why one should not attep to pup/rupture the cyst. Most of the time however the risk of surger is far greater than the risk the cyst poses so nothing is done.

There is some though that it is often again to acne in people and for dogs with lots of cyst and recurring cysts retiniod or accutane are sometimes used with varying degrees of success.

I don't now if the following is scary or makes one feel better
Multiple (more than two thousand) epidermal inclusion cysts in a dog

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You guys are all so smart! The vet thinks they are benign fluid filled subcutaneous cysts. He did a fine needle aspiration found fluid with a few RBCs. Just to be on the safe side we are going to have them removed & sent for histopathology during her teeth cleaning later this month. BTW my little sissy of a Princess (who has been known to whine, cry & polish her daytime Emmy during vaccines) didn't even flinch when they dug that needle in repeatedly. She was such a good girl!! http://emob274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/foxyatc/Mobile Uploads/IMG_1079-1.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Glad the vet thinks the lumps are benign, I got scared for you when I read your post having lost my boy to lymphoma in March. I found his neck lymph nodes enlarged one day and with the vet's needle aspiration they were confirmed. I thought at the time they were enlarged from his teeth or an ear infection but when the vet found others enlarged elsewhere my heart sank :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BassetMom I read each & every one if your posts, with tears. Thanks so much for thinking of us. I did wonder if they were lymph nodes too. Can't tell you how many times I felt my own lymph nodes in the neck, and then her lumps. With all that skin it was really hard to decide where they were! Turned out they were in that moveable floppy skin & not lymph nodes. I will still breathe a lot easier after they're analyzed though.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thank you basset pals, for thinkin' of me and PB. My person worked ALL weekend, so i didn't get to be on the computer like i like to. i missed y'all.

i think it also crossed my person's mind re: lymphoma... btw, why do so many bassets have lymphoma???? is it just on this forum, or true of bassets in general? seems like many have passed away from lymphoma here :(

well, my vet stuck a needle in my R armpit lump too and took a look under the microscope. just found fat and no cells, so that was good news. she is not worried about it, so i gotta clean bill. she thought i was young to be havin' lumps (almost 1 year old).

PB, glad u are ok, too, and yes, please update us after your teef cleaning and when they take it out...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Wednesday's the big day & I have a few questions. What all should I have them do while she's under anesthetic? Lumps & Teeth cleaning are already on the books. Would an ear cleaning be worth her while? Is it any better than my squeaky clean job I do? Can they trim her nails shorter than I dremel? I get super close to the kwik but didn't know if they can cut into it to really shorten them. My guess is no because she will still bleed but someone just posted they can cut them shorter under anesthesia. X-rays? What else? I'm hoping after this she'll be good for a few more years or longer (neighbor is a dental hygentist) so now is the time to get it all done!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
My guess is no because she will still bleed but someone just posted they can cut them shorter under anesthesia.
The reason for not cutting into the quick is not so much the bleeding but it is full of nerve ending as well so it hurts and tends to make the dog less cooperative the next time. The question is do the dog nails need to be shorter than they are now. yes the vet can clip then shorter while under they will bleed but the pain from clipping won't be there. and a vet can easily deaal with a little bleed from the quick. Many if not most vets have a problem making nails really short. I've had vets barely make a dent in a foster with overgrown nail while they were under. In reality the $50,000 questions would the dog be more comfortable with shorter nails? Once shortened can you maintain that shorter length? Dogs that have regular and routine nail clipping rarely need to go to the radical approach of having the vet shorten them while under. If the nails are too long by beeing diligent in nail clipping you can get the quick to receee over time. By cutting into the quick while under the time frame is shortend dramatically, For grossly overgrown nails in the end it is a bout a lit bit of recovery pain vs year of cronic pain from overgrown nails, Nails do provide traction on soft surface so being too short is a hinderence as well.

Ear flush while under can be a good idea if there is an active infection if the ears are normal there is no reason to have it done.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
they found a weird lump on me the other day.
gonna get it looked it.
it feels like its attached to something underneath, and not your run-of-the-mill fatty cyst thats just kinda "suspended" under the skin.
they're a little worried about me, but they lost 2 in 3wks early this year, so they may be a little "nervous nellie" about the whole thing.
better safe than sorry, i suppose.
i like my vet lady anyway. she comes to my house.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts