Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
With that notes, I have a question.. Usual commercial fish oil product contains Retinol (preformed vit A). Should this raised a concern for a dog? I knew that Vit A can be poisonous when consumed too much especially since Retinol is fat soluble type (meaning that the excess cannot be excreted via the act of urination or defecation).

Never thought about it, but just did some research and found this

"Because vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin that is stored until needed, it is possible to give your dog too much vitamin A. Too much vitamin A is considered to be anything over 113,600 IU per pound of food consumed on a dry matter basis according to Doctor Foster & Smith. For vitamin A to be toxic, that dosage would have to be given daily for months. Muscle weakness and bone abnormalities may result. Toxicity is uncommon but should still be considered when feeding your dog foods rich in vitamin A."

· Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, Snickers has been on this kick lately of stealing the insoles out of her Daddy's shoes. It's kinda gross! Plus she steals water bottles, (full or empty) and the other day, my husband was making a sandwich, and when he turned to get someting out of a drawer, guess who helped herself? Kinda made me giggle!

I've never met a hound dog that could resist an unguarded sandwich. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.